Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bump/thump/slop in steering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bump/thump/slop in steering?

This is a hard one to describe but I am hoping that it will ring a bell with someone who has had this issue. My 92 has a column mounted shifter. I have not torn it apart yet because I was hoping to get some feedback of what to look for before I get started…

When sitting still, I can turn the wheel about 2-3 inches and I feel no resistance and it kind of “bumps” when it does get to the point of resistance. I had the same symptom in my ’88, that I just got rid of, but never looked into it because it didn’t seem to hurt anything. It is not extreme like on my ‘49 CJ3A where the adjustment on the steering box gear was worn out. Frankly, I haven’t looked to see if these newer steering boxes have the same type of adjustment available. It does not seem to wander while driving but I am so used to driving a '70 Chevy that makes it's own lane changes if you don't pay attention (1/4 turn of slop!)...

I have about an 8th inch of rotation in the steering column it’s self but do not think that would account for this. I’ll see if I can find where that play is coming from but does anyone have any recommendations of what else to check while I'm in there? I am hoping to be more proactive on this Jeep and fix the little things while I don't have a big list of "Gotta Fix" items...

Thanks,
Jay
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

My son and I just swapped out the steering box in his 87 XJ for the same exact problem. You could actually look where the pitman arm attaches to the steering box sector shaft while somebody moved the steering wheel side to side about an eighth to a quarter turn and see the shaft move side to side rather than turn like it's supposed to.