Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default XJ not starting

Thanks for the add, first post!!

I just bought a 1999 cherokee classic and the owner before me replaced the fuel pump not to long ago. (its a family member so I know they are not lieing) and lately it wont start right away. I crank it for like 3 seconds, it wont start. Turn it off, turn key on for 5 seconds, try to start and sometimes it will start, sometimes I have to turn key off and on again. I can hear fuel pump. What else could it be? Its pretty clean underneath so i don't think its rusted. Once it does start, it runs fine. I did however notice a very very very slight chug if I have it on cruise control on the freeway. But again, VERY slight. Thank you for any input.

Also, unrelated side note, the rearend is sagging a bit. I did some looking around on here for fixes. I'm okay with a lift but don't want to go to crazy as this is a family car, maybe 2 inches. Should I do a lift or just the rear leafs? And if so, where do I even go for that stuff? (New to the jeep scene, yes I can google it but I want what people have tried)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

First and foremost, as a new Jeep owner, get yourself a FSM (Factory Service Manual) - Pacificcoastmanuals.com is a good source. This will tell you everything you want to know and more about your Jeep.

Re your problems - I would start with ground/connection cleaning and a tune-up - new NTK plugs, cap/rotor, wires. While you're at it, grab a loaner tool (free with deposit at your local parts retailer) fuel pressure test gauge. You should read a solid and steady 49psi (+- 5). If fuel pressure is good, grounds and battery cables are clean and tight, you can pull the starter and have it bench tested at your local parts retailer free of charge.

For the sagging rear end, you will need new leaf springs. You can decide whether you want to stay stock or lift it (the new leafs will bring it up a bit, obviously). To lift it, you can either put some extended length shackles (Iron Rock has some good options) or use a lift kit which will either be "lifted" leaf springs or they use a block (I'm not super familiar with this, but it seems a less than optimal option). If you do lif the rear end, you'll want to lift the front end to compensate.
I'm about to replace my leaf springs (keeping it stock height) and went with Dorman from amazon for about $116 each. You want to get ones with the bushings pre-installed since installing them can be a real PITA. Lots of info on leaf spring replacement and the pitfalls - do a thread search.

Welcome to the forum and the joys of Jeep ownership.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Default Thank you

thank you for the reply. I will address these things to start with. I know they did just do a tune up last year so I’ll start with the ground cables and what not.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Check your fuel pressure and make sure the new pump is good. It's very easy to do.

You can also check your battery (on the vehicle if you can drive it there) and get a bench test of your starter at your local parts retailer. The XJ's are pretty picky about battery condition, so that's something that you should/could easily check.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Check your fuel pressure and make sure the new pump is good. It's very easy to do..

Yep. Absolutely essential. The aftermarket pumps aren't known to be very reliable. Dying in a few months is not unusual.

If it turns out you need to replace it, go with Bosch or Delphi.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 05-30-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:03 PM

Fuel pump, thank you guys.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Anytime brother! Glad to hear that you got it figured out and thanks for posting with the resolution.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If u look on the Guru's home page, Cruiser54 has MANY good ideas. Especially on the gas pump ground wires. Chances are if the backs sagging, they never did anything back there. Look on his web page about the ground upgrades. If you have good gas pressure sometimes DOESNT mean you have it ALL the time.