Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues (not starting, then starting)

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical issues (not starting, then starting)

Well you may have read an earlier post I made about this same problem but since then some things have changed. Basically in a nut shell I go to turn the key and nothing happens, no guages or anything. I was told to start with the most basic stuff. So I bring my battery down to les schwab to do a inspection on it. They said when I brought it in the battery was dead. (2 year old battery) So they charged it and I stuck it in the jeep and it fired right up. I thought my problems were solved. nope. I just pulled my car into the garage turned it off then for some reason I wanted to try starting it again to make sure it was still working...well guess what it didn't start. I took a two minute break thinking of what the hell is going on... I turned the key again and now its been starting. What is going on? Does this sound like a bad ground or something I'm not thinking of. ugh this really sucks because my jeep is my daily drive and I have no trust in it... any ideas guys. Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

You should try to stay with one post. That way the members can read what advice was previously given.

Well, the battery issue seems to be resolved. Did they do a load test after charging?

If it is automatic it could be the neutral start switch. Move your shifter thru the gears and try to start in park and neutral.

Change your starter relay with another similar one. It could be a bad relay. Don't use the ASD nor Fuel Pump relay for this test. Find another one.

If this does not work, you will have to do some testing with a multi meter. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
You should try to stay with one post. That way the members can read what advice was previously given.

Well, the battery issue seems to be resolved. Did they do a load test after charging?

If it is automatic it could be the neutral start switch. Move your shifter thru the gears and try to start in park and neutral.

Change your starter relay with another similar one. It could be a bad relay. Don't use the ASD nor Fuel Pump relay for this test. Find another one.

If this does not work, you will have to do some testing with a multi meter. Let us know what you find.
If I just went ahead and bought a new starter would that come with a new starter relay? And besides the junk yard where can I buy a new starter?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

No don't buy a starter. You have to do some testing first. The starter relay is an electrical item in the distribution panel. The starter comes with a solenoid.

See my post this thread. Do the test. If the starter works, you have some other problem. Post the result of test.

Here
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

So get this.... I think I figured out why the jeep wouldn't start. I knew I had an electrical issue somewhere because my battery was being drained, thus not letting my car start. So today I figured out that when I had power going to the blower motor my car would start to stall and the lights would dim. When I moved the A/C heater switch to off the problem would go away. I've done this a bunch of times with the same results. Sounds like something is wrong with the wiring to my blower motor, right?