Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wouldn't start with heavy load in the hatch?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wouldn't start with heavy load in the hatch?

So my XJ (1988, 4.0, Auto, 112k) has never had a problem starting up and running with in the couple months that I've had it. Last night I went to a buddy's house that had cut smallish tree down and needed the wood out of his yard. I loaded it up, probably approx 250-300 lbs, and a couple hours later when I went to leave.. it didn't want to start. Just crank and crank. About 5 minutes of trying this, cranking it over a few times, it finally started. Was heading out of town and noticed I was just about in the red so I thought maybe it had something to do with being low on gas. I swung by the gas station (only about half mile from my buddy's house) and filled it all the way up. Same thing happened. Wouldn't start for about half an hour, just crank and crank. Finally I got it started and drove it home. Unloaded the wood immediately and parked it in it's spot. It fired right up like normal the 5 times I tried to start it there.

Now I don't know if this wood had anything to do with it but I've never had that problem before. It sits pretty low in the rear as it is because my leafs are pretty shot (project for next spring/summer). So the wood almost had the rear on the tires. Would it sitting so low in the back have caused this issue in any way? I could hear my fuel pump kicking in each time so I don't believe it was that. Am I looking at a possible CPS?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

. The pump is in the front of the tank and these old xjs don't like to run low on fuel. They'll spit and sputter and stall and carry on... but you should get under.there and check out your fuel pump wires. Might have gotten Hung up when Lu had your rear squatting that much
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Slick761
. The pump is in the front of the tank and these old xjs don't like to run low on fuel. They'll spit and sputter and stall and carry on... but you should get under.there and check out your fuel pump wires. Might have gotten Hung up when Lu had your rear squatting that much
That's kinda what I was thinking. Couldn't have been low on fuel though because, $60 later, the gas tank was full and it still did it right at the gas station. But ya I was thinking maybe something was getting pinched or something due to the weight. Because like I said, I unloaded the wood, pulled it into it's spot and shut it off. Started right up 5 times on the first try, like nothing ever happened.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Ya prob a hose or wire.