Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 XJ Stalling issues

Hello,

I have a 2000 4.0 4wd Sport with 130k that i bought new and has always been reliable until about 6 months ago.

It started to stall after accelerating from a full-stop on the way to get coffee a few blocks from my house in the morning. After a few attempts it will start again and get me to my coffee. Once warmed up the problem would go away completely.

I had the crank and co2 sensors changed, cleaned the ecm connectors and the problem went away for a while. When it returned a month later i tried the morning coffee routine using third instead of Drive.. the problem went away again.... after another month of using only 3rd to warm up the car i figured i'd try using Drive again for the warm-up and the problem came right back, only worse, now it happens in 3rd and 2nd too.

I ordered a rebuilt ecm programmed with my vin and odometer reading, even worse now. I called the folks that rebuilt the ecm and they said that my original ecm probably "adapted" to whatever issue is going on and that i probably need a new transmission module.

I've done some searching in here and google and found that some people say the transmission module is built into the ecm for this year... is that right? If not, where is it on the car?

thanks
Alex
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM

iac valve, sounds to me
Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by chadtheman
iac valve, sounds to me
Cleaned the iac valve just in case but the thing always idles perfectly (when it runs ), it's when i hit the gas from a stop sign that it dies and won't want to start.. then, when it does start it's idles and runs smoothly.

AlexM
Old 08-23-2011, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Don't throw any more parts at this. And this doesn't sound like a transmission control unit either.

I'd get a scantool hooked up and get some live streaming data to see how all of the critical engine management parameters look.

And that scantool can check for any stored codes, which may be a good clue. You can have stored codes without having a current check engine light on.

Good data = good decisions.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Don't throw any more parts at this. And this doesn't sound like a transmission control unit either.

I'd get a scantool hooked up and get some live streaming data to see how all of the critical engine management parameters look.

And that scantool can check for any stored codes, which may be a good clue. You can have stored codes without having a current check engine light on.

Good data = good decisions.
x2 throwing parts at any vechicle is gonna go no where
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks, I don't have a scantool so I have been taking it to my local mechanic who has it.. he could never get an error code, what's worse is that i left it with them to drive for 2 weeks and they couldn't replicate the problem (of course)... now it's bad and the shop owner retired and closed up altogether. Don't know what to do at this point other than finding a scantool on ebay or finding another mechanic locally.

Alex
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by alessandromack
Thanks, I don't have a scantool so I have been taking it to my local mechanic who has it.. he could never get an error code, what's worse is that i left it with them to drive for 2 weeks and they couldn't replicate the problem (of course)... now it's bad and the shop owner retired and closed up altogether. Don't know what to do at this point other than finding a scantool on ebay or finding another mechanic locally.

Alex
Most big box parts store will scan codes for free
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CattyXJ
Most big box parts store will scan codes for free
Did not know that! Thanks for the tip!

Alex