Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't turn over- alternator?starter?battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO I6
Default Won't turn over- alternator?starter?battery?

Won't turn over. Started last time after a boost and then it was good for a bit but then wouldn't turn over again even with boost. Battery charges when driving.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Are you hearing anything from the starter or solenoid? A click a whir or anything? If you hear a click, check all your connections then try lightly tapping on the starter with a hammer. Sometimes if a starter is going bad it will get stuck and tapping on it will break it free. If that is the case, then you will just need a new starter and you will be good to go.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Remove battery cables. Clean them and battery posts until SHINY.

2. Load test the battery. Load testing is the ONLY accurate way of determining battery condition. Any parts store will do this for you for free.

3. Try starting in neutral and try turning the key while wiggling the shift lever. If either of these techniques works, the problem is the "neutral safety switch". Quite common to see it fail

4. Get a meter. With the key in the ON position, check voltage directly at the starter. If you have full battery voltage at the starter, the problem is the starter itself. If you don't have full battery voltage, you need to start working your way back into the engine bay to find out why (ie: bad cable, bad ground, relay, etc).

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Year: 2001

yea sounds like a ground connection issue to me. check your ground good.....infact just check all your connections good. question????? did this happen after a good rain and there is moisture in the air?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

First time it did this it was at the car wash but yesterday it was at gas station. Took the battery out and charged it and then tightened the connections and it's working now but I don't know if that is the problem or if it's gonna crap out in a few more weeks again.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 95 tank
First time it did this it was at the car wash but yesterday it was at gas station. Took the battery out and charged it and then tightened the connections and it's working now but I don't know if that is the problem or if it's gonna crap out in a few more weeks again.
Yea sounds like you probably got it. Most likely a poor connection. If it does it again soon a quick replacement of your battery will 99% fix the problem. I had a similar issue with a neon. The battery post was actually giving the most problems. Replacement fixed it for me. Take a photo of the top of your battery for us so we can see the condition of your battery posts and clamps.