Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring Overhead Console Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wiring Overhead Console Help

I know this subject has been covered many times by many different people however my research on the subject continues to leave me baffled. I have a 1992 base model xj that i am adding the OHC into. i got the wiring harness and have found the proper connectors and rewired where necessary, however it the OHC compass/thermometer wont come on at all. once i tested it again ensuring all wires were wired correctly i tested with a test light and I'm not receiving any power to the plug in the factory plug in the xj. is there a fuse im missing. I checked all the factory ones with no solution inside and out. please help if you can.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Ssorry I cant be more specific at the moment but I too have a 92 base model and to get mine to work I had to do a good bit of rewiring of the plugs in the passenger kick panel to get mine to work. My donor vehicle was a 96 if memory serves correctly and the plugs would plug in but the plug pins did not match across the years though if I recall the wire colors did. i tried to simply move the pins around but I couldnt get them to release soi cut the wires and spliced them to the wire in the correct plug position on the vehicle side Get wiring diagrams for both your 92 and one for the donor vehicle year. It seems daunting to look at at first but chase one circuit at a time and you can do it. I will check my archive of printouts and see if I can be of any more specific help but it will be a couple of days.

Last edited by tiny43; 02-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

I did the same thing i got all the wires to match up but nothing is getting power on the vehicle side still. I got all the wires matched up with the right colors and all map lights are working. is the pink wire the only wire that provides any switched/constant power?