Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default wiring help

guys i am trying to wire in an interior light using a universal interior light from autp store. i have the hot wire on the light and it has a switch in case of constant power and a ground wire. no big deal. (BUT) the harness that came to the other light had 3 wires. red, yellow, black. the red has constant, the yellow has power after the door closes and i am assuming the black is the ground. i am wanting the light to work when the door opens. i tried every way i can think but i cant get it in series with the door switch.???? any thoughts. do i need a different light?? maybe a 3 way??
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I used one from an auto store for an older pickup that was the spring loaded push button type. I wanted to do the same as you but found it was always on. What i did to remedy this was run a constant hot to the light. The door switch and toggle switch acted as ground interupters. When the door was closed the door switch ground circuit was open. The switch on the dash when open when the switch was off. So if i opened the door or flipped the switch on the dash the circuit was complete and the light would come on. I wired the hot wire to an empty fuse location on my fuse block.