Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Wiring help!

Hi all,
I recently bought a 2000 xj right hand drive for mail delivery/ a project Jeep, and I'm having some wiring issues .not sure what the last owner did to it, but it's a mess at the fuse box inside the cab . I'm assuming it was something to make the 4-way flashers work different, but idk . When I start the vehicle the flashers will automatically go on for a minute or two the go off (without even turning them on) then they only work randomly when I actually turn them on. Most of the time, I turn them on and they only flash 2 or 3 times then stop. I have pictures attached of the mess. If someone could help me make sense of it, I'd appreciate it .
Old 03-08-2019, 03:47 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by Marc Bresnan

, but it's a mess at the fuse box inside the cab . I'm assuming it was something to make the 4-way flashers work different, but idk . When I start the vehicle the flashers will automatically go on for a minute or two the go off (without even turning them on) then they only work randomly when I actually turn them on. Most of the time, I turn them on and they only flash 2 or 3 times then stop. I have pictures attached of the mess. If someone could help me make sense of it, I'd appreciate it .
here is some info, but I dont think you will like it

my RHD '96 also flashes the hazard lights quite often without any initiation by me.

here is what I have noticed;

1) It normally goes for 30secs, then stops, which appears to be linked to the normal process of unlocking
2) The Inside light will illuminate while it is happening
3) It is triggered very reliably by someone using the passenger front, or rear door
4) triggering the indicator sometimes overides it

none of that makes a great deal of sense, other than there is probably a fault in the door harness wiring somewhere (a VERY common fault)
likely there is another wiring/electrical fault as well

my hazards do seem to work, but I dont tempt fate, as I would very rarely need them

if you do NEED to use them, that is unfortunate, as I do not know how one would sort out such a nightmare, without a lot of complex fault finding.

it is possible replacing the stalk assembly with integral switch (in my case) would resolve the fault

most likely, I would make an entirely separate harness with alternate switch, and splice that in

Old 03-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by awg
here is some info, but I dont think you will like it

my RHD '96 also flashes the hazard lights quite often without any initiation by me.

here is what I have noticed;

1) It normally goes for 30secs, then stops, which appears to be linked to the normal process of unlocking
2) The Inside light will illuminate while it is happening
3) It is triggered very reliably by someone using the passenger front, or rear door
4) triggering the indicator sometimes overides it

none of that makes a great deal of sense, other than there is probably a fault in the door harness wiring somewhere (a VERY common fault)
likely there is another wiring/electrical fault as well

my hazards do seem to work, but I dont tempt fate, as I would very rarely need them

if you do NEED to use them, that is unfortunate, as I do not know how one would sort out such a nightmare, without a lot of complex fault finding.

it is possible replacing the stalk assembly with integral switch (in my case) would resolve the fault

most likely, I would make an entirely separate harness with alternate switch, and splice that in
Yeah, I was worried I may have other electrical issues .I was thinking of just buying some small amber LEDs and wiring them completely separate with a different dedicated switch on it's own circuit. Might be the easiest route to take for now .
Thabks!
Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not any help here but where'd the 52 amp fuse in the top right come from?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Is fuse 17 (15 amp) with metal sticking out of the connection the fuse for that system?