Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wiring A Radio... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wiring A Radio... HELP

Ok, I'm new to the jeep world. Just bought a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited. Pretty nice i like it so far.

Now my question is wiring the radio. aftermarket. it had a aftermarket radio in it already, it was an Alpine pretty old. I'm putting the Panasonic from my toyota in there. The Alpine was professionally wired in. They cut the old harness but made a new connector. Coming from the new connector all the wires are color coded and labeled. So you would think just to match the wires and plug it in and it would work. well not so much.
the unit powers up perfectly but no sound. so i cut the wires again and just touching random speaker wires together just to get a sound and still nothing. so i brought out an old speaker and connected it to the wire of the unit i'm installing and it works...

now i had this problem w/ my toyota. it had factory amps for each speaker and i had to run new wires to each speaker. but i shouldn't have to do that here... if the alpine worked fine.

it has the infinity gold package...

also is there an online wiring diagram and repair manual...?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 AM

i guess what it comes down to is which wire ground out the infinity amp...? anyone
Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Sounds like you have a "premium" sound package similar to your other vehicle. These require either bypassing the system altogether (ie running new wires) or finding an interfacing system to work with it. The one question I still have though, like you said, is that there was an Alpine deck in there that worked fine before. Call up Crutchfield and see how much information you can get out of them without having to buy anything...