Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiper Intermitent and no return to orginal placement - PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wiper Intermitent and no return to orginal placement - PROBLEM

Was up in the snow and my wipers ended up being stuck to the windshield in an upright position.

When I brushed them off and turned them on at first they didn't return to the orginal postition setting at the base.

Then they started working, since then the 'intermittent' option turns on as the 'low' setting, the low setting stay as normal and the high setting works fine however they do not return to the base when I turn off the wipers.

Not sure what has happened and what needs to me replaced .. have looked in the service manual to not have any real luck.

Any help ideas?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

The first thing I would check would be the arms. Remove the arms and check the teeth on the shaft and inside of the arm to see if they stripped out of at least a few of them. If so you may have to replace the arms. If not there you may have stripped some of the gears on the motor.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks RTorrez1!

Do you think is might be the intermittent module?

My mechanic seemed to think that may be the problem... I'm not sure if it is though..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by katk23
Was up in the snow and my wipers ended up being stuck to the windshield in an upright position.

When I brushed them off and turned them on at first they didn't return to the orginal postition setting at the base.

Then they started working, since then the 'intermittent' option turns on as the 'low' setting, the low setting stay as normal and the high setting works fine however they do not return to the base when I turn off the wipers.

Not sure what has happened and what needs to me replaced .. have looked in the service manual to not have any real luck.

Any help ideas?

i had the same issue. it is the module. not the arms. if the module is uplugged or loose, they will act the way you are describing. what year is it?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Thanks RTorrez1!

Do you think is might be the intermittent module?

My mechanic seemed to think that may be the problem... I'm not sure if it is though..
I guess it could be part of the problem. But, I don't think that would cause it not to go back to down position when you turn them off.
Robert
Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

unplug the module and plug the two ends together see if wipers work off low high with out delay
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks again!

It's a 2000 cherokee sport...

I've also had a problem with my interior lights staying on even when the automatic lock fob is clicked to lock it they stay on, it would normaly have turned out.

It happened a week ago when a friend closed her door while getting out and they stayed on.. never to go out again I had to pull the light bulbs out to keep them from burning my battery power out..

Suggestion on this one?

and thanks for helping a gal out.. rather figure it out myself if I can with the help of awesome peeps from here!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Yep, the intermittent module is notorious for burning the printed conductor paths between internal components. If you pull yours apart (in my '89 it's Velcro'd to the inside of the knee bolster under the steering column) I'm guessing you'll see something like this...

The symptoms you've described are identical to those I experience when the module cooks a conductor. They are repairable, I pulled it apart and soldered a strand of copper wire over the burnt part and it worked for a couple weeks before burning through another conductor. I have a feeling I'll be chasing these issues until all printed conductors have been replaced with a copper jumper.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks again!

It's a 2000 cherokee sport...

I've also had a problem with my interior lights staying on even when the automatic lock fob is clicked to lock it they stay on, it would normaly have turned out.

It happened a week ago when a friend closed her door while getting out and they stayed on.. never to go out again I had to pull the light bulbs out to keep them from burning my battery power out..

Suggestion on this one?

and thanks for helping a gal out.. rather figure it out myself if I can with the help of awesome peeps from here!
possible door switch issue
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I guess it could be part of the problem. But, I don't think that would cause it not to go back to down position when you turn them off.
Robert
Two people whi had the same problem and fixed it say otherwise.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Robert
thats why you remove the module out of the picture