Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you do

I bought a 98 jeep Cherokee with 156,000 miles. I now have 168,500. The people I bought it from took care of the vehicle, i.e., serviced by schedule. I do know they replaced the transmission. I recently replaced the radiator. Other than these two things I don't know if they replaced anything else, like the timing belt. They did say they had a new serpatine belt. I'm a graduate student, not too mechanically savvy and limited with funds. What are some things that you would do to ensure the jeep continues running well, i.e., tune up etc.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

tune up and all fluids obviously... (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, front and rear differential fluids)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 (of course) ;)

Originally Posted by 98JeepGrad
I bought a 98 jeep Cherokee with 156,000 miles. I now have 168,500. The people I bought it from took care of the vehicle, i.e., serviced by schedule. I do know they replaced the transmission. I recently replaced the radiator. Other than these two things I don't know if they replaced anything else, like the timing belt. They did say they had a new serpatine belt. I'm a graduate student, not too mechanically savvy and limited with funds. What are some things that you would do to ensure the jeep continues running well, i.e., tune up etc.
with this kind of mileage your jeep is really just starting to come into its own, especially with a new tranny under it. I wouldnt worry about anything other than just the basics. Tuneup, fluids and the like unless a problem is presenting itself.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 98JeepGrad
If it's been well maintained, and you currently are having no issues (good oil pressure, not overheating, etc.), then you're set. Also, just as a correction, our good ol' 4.0's do NOT have a timing belt. If they did, I'd cry. I think belts were the worst mistake to ever jump out of the automotive world. Sure, let's make interferance engines (engines where the valves interfere with piston travel) that can break with the skip of a single degree, and control everything via a belt. DUMB! Lol, but rant over.

You could do yourself a favor and pull the spark plugs to just make sure they aren't burnt or fouled. Really easy, just need a racket, 3 inch extension, and plug socket. If they check out, oil looks clean, wires look fresh, coolant is green, and everything looks solid with no rough running or Check Engine lights, you are SET!

However, I will caution you with my own personal experiences. My water pump started to go out at 190k miles, as well as the power steering pump. Alternator finally gave up the ghost at 205k miles. Also, harmonic balancer (the big crank pulley) needed replacing at about 200k miles. Considering all that stuff lasted so many miles and was 20+ years old, I couldn't complain. Plus, all are relativly cheap and easy to replace. Also watch your motor mounts... they wear out after a while. At 200k, my passenger side mount was sheared. But you should have a good few thousand miles before any of that takes a dump. Just be ready for them though! Doesn't hurt to start a Jeep fund lol.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks so much! To be honest I was a bit concern with what I thought was high mileage, but I drive it to California from Arizona once a month and its running like a champ. But thanks for the keep fund idea, will keep that in mind.