Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Winter Tires - Recommendations/ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Winter Tires - Recommendations/ideas?

Hi -

I have a 2001 4.0L stock xj (no lift) 4WD

I will be needing to drive in the Rockies a lot this winter. My jeeps tires are currently all weather P235 75R15.....

I drive like an old lady, but I'm looking for the best way to prep my cherokee for some insanely snowy conditions. I'm not looking to lift it or make it snazzy, just some suggestions for a good winter tire. I will also be driving on dry pavement as well so it needs to be versatile.

Rough pricing would also be appreciated. (Or other suggestions to winterize my jeep) Thanks!

laur
Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 AM

im counting on my fresh dueler AT revo's to get me through the winter, but im from connecticut, and our winters are pretty mild compared to what you must get in the rockies. you could just check tire rack for reviews and prices.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I fully back BFG AT's in the snow and ice, every time we hit the snow im the only one not all over the road, all my friends and their MTR's and fancy crawler tires cant get a grip and these things dont let go, and all the plow trucks run em too
Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I have Cooper Discoverer ST's on my XJ. Love them, and would gladly buy another set. Priced about $550, a set. I put them mainly for Wisconsin winters.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default 13 Year Jeep Veteran of New England Winters

For winter tires you don't want an All Terrain tire. And you don't want a wider tire.

The compounds are what come into play in the snow and winter and you need a tire that will evacuate the snow out of the tread blocks vs a rubber which hardens and allows the snow to stick inside the tread blocks.

In answer to your question as far as an all around tire that performs as well as a dedicated snow tire in the winter. As well as one that will also last...

Michelin LTX MS/2 $113. at TireRack

Which is Mud and Snow rated and has siping in the treads which make it perform on ice even as a dedicated snow and ice tire would.
I have these on my Wife's SUV and they last and last...75K miles +

What do I run ?

I have two sets of wheels, the original steel wheels and Jeep OEM alloys in which I run an Michelin All Terrain Tire 235/75 during most of the year.

For the New Hampshire winters, which I mount around Xmas , I have Bridgestone Blizzaks in a narrow 215/75 size to bite into the snow.
(These are very soft though, so I remove them in mid-late march.)

I put a little weight in the back behind the rear seats, using cases of spring water which freezes, and I can even drink later.

With this combination , The Jeep is practically unstoppable in the snow.
In fact the snow plows wave me by allowing me to pass them.
I've Never have had to use my tow hooks either !

I love my Jeep !

Link to Tire at Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WLXL&tab=Sizes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Blizzaks would be the best you can find. Look into Firestones AT, Revos and General grabber AT.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

A lot of tires are good but whoever said you don't want wide tires is correct.

For good snow performance, you need "siping" in the tires for grip and you need narrow, tall tires to cut through the snow to a hard surface. You can't drive on top of snow, for the most part, so big wide tires don't help, they hurt.

I'd go out on tirerack.com and look at the reviews for all the tires you are considering. They have the best review system I've seen and they sell a lot of tires. For example, I put Michelin Hydro-Edge tires on my wife's minivan based on tirerack's reviews. Excellent tire - grips well in all weather, quiet, smooth and we got 70,000 miles out of them...and sold them on the wheels a few weeks ago and they had at least 25,000 miles of life left in them. Tirerack's reveiw said 90k life, all day long. They were spot on.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Year: 2001

When I lived up in Alaska, I ran BFG ATs on my K5 Blazer and they were great. Also, a lot of people ran Bridgestone Blizzaks. There's also a tire company called Green Diamond. They have silicon carbide granules mixed into the rubber throughout the tire. As your tires wear down, new granules are exposed. The only down fall is you have to run them for around 500 miles or so to expose the granules.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

The last four guys are the only ones that must know how to read cause they answered his question. He's looking for dedicated snow tires. Simple people today. For winterizing make sure cooling system is up to snuff ,and heater works good . Wipers for winter weather,and also good windsheild washer fluid. Aired up spare tire,and jack ,etc. Blanket, extra clothing.Lights all work, shovel. I have Blizzaks for the wifes jeep also.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Also keep in mind in certain weather conditions you may be required to use chains on certain mountain roads. I've heard really good thing about Blizzak snow tires. Also, if it's legal in the state you're in you could just keep the chains on all winter. They work damn good. Just make sure you inspect them periodically for damage.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by Macky
I fully back BFG AT's in the snow and ice, every time we hit the snow im the only one not all over the road, all my friends and their MTR's and fancy crawler tires cant get a grip and these things dont let go, and all the plow trucks run em too
Agreed. I have owned at least 8 set of these over the years. Would put them on my wife car, if they wouldnt look retarded...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Year: 1996

in my experience and not just bashing tires causue i have gone through about 3 set's of them now. i would go with bfg all terrains. i no everyone is gonna talk **** about them, but we get about 6 inches of snow each year and most the time is a layer of ice too and they grip really good as long as you dont drive like an idiot. now my brother has micky thompson mt's on his jeep and dont get traction worth a damn.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by harorider848
in my experience and not just bashing tires causue i have gone through about 3 set's of them now. i would go with bfg all terrains. i no everyone is gonna talk **** about them, but we get about 6 inches of snow each year and most the time is a layer of ice too and they grip really good as long as you dont drive like an idiot. now my brother has micky thompson mt's on his jeep and dont get traction worth a damn.
Nope bfg's are a great tire but he's looking for snow tires,I run Bfg's ATS ,now that I don't have to travel as far anymore on my xj. LOLLOL 6 inches of snow a year,we'll get that in 3-4 hours in a good storm.lol

Last edited by rich; 11-11-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

So a snow tire or ice tire? Ice tire yes skinny with alot of small (grippers). I personally found that skinny BFG ATS worked just as well as (winter tires) or (snow tires) on the ice.

But if you need Real snow tires! For snow not ice you want them as wide as you can get them to float on top of the snow.

So are you talking when the road is closed you listen; or go for it. If you listen you want Ice tires. the skinnier the better. And the more little fingers to grip the ice the better. I myself you never buy just (snow tires). They are a softer compound and ware out vary vary fast on a salted winter road. I mean really fast! I would go look at (snow tires) and find the closest thing in an AT or something to that nature. I would buy the skinniest General Grabber ATs you can find. And I would get a extra set of rims to put them on cause you will have safe winter driving for years to come. I say new rims cause I wouldn't run a skinny tire in spring summer and fall cause the pavement is normally dry and a little wider is better traction on dry pavement.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 AM

Wow you guys are awesome.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions!!!!

For the record, as there seems to be some confusion, I am female.

haha

THANKS!!!!

Quick Reply: Winter Tires - Recommendations/ideas?