Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

windows stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default windows stick

My windows won't roll down without help. I have to push or pull and the locks are stick, If i push the lock manually while I push the unlock button they work.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a write up on taking the door panels off and cleaning these systems up????

Do I HAVE to replace or can I clean/repair????

All of them work they just act like thier gummed up or something?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the locks on my 96 did this just pop off your door panels mostly just clips you pull them right off there are ac ouple screws in each door panel not to hard to see though when you get the panel off pull back the sound barier and you will seee the locking mechanism get some good teflon grease in a spray can or white lithium greaes in a spray can and spray the crap out of them working the locks by hand until they are able to unlock and lock by themselves it took me about 20 mins per side it was pretty easy
Old 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder

Originally Posted by jd4x426
the locks on my 96 did this just pop off your door panels mostly just clips you pull them right off there are ac ouple screws in each door panel not to hard to see though when you get the panel off pull back the sound barier and you will seee the locking mechanism get some good teflon grease in a spray can or white lithium greaes in a spray can and spray the crap out of them working the locks by hand until they are able to unlock and lock by themselves it took me about 20 mins per side it was pretty easy
X2 on that.

there are 3 or 4 screws in the door panel itself but the rest are just those annoyin christmas tree clip things. just pry GENTLY around the edge of the door panel when you have the screws out and work your way around until the panel is off. it will still be held on by the door handle rod so be careful not to go toooo crazy and bend that in the process..
pop that out of the clip that holds it into the actual handle and there ya go. door panel is off. then ya.. white lithium grease worked for me. be sure to work it in and you'll be fine. installation of the door panel is the exact opposite of how you put took it off.

Good luck.