Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window motor goes down not up, replaced everything

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6
Default Window motor goes down not up, replaced everything

Hi everyone,

I have been chasing this window motor problem on my cherokee since I bought it. The front passenger window motor used to work, went up and down. Then, one day it started only going down, and it wouldn't go up. A few times, I kicked the door and then it went up. It won't do that anymore, though.

I replaced the motor and tested that it goes up and down, and the switch, and tested that, it works. (both from the junkyard). It still only goes down.

It doesn't go either direction from the drivers side switch. I tested continuity on all 4 of those circled wires and they are continuous.
I have no idea what else to check. Also, all of the leds on both switches work. If anyone could help that would be great.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I would say the problem is likely in your driver's side switch (or the connection to it). Both the ground and the current for the motor has to flow through the driver's module before it flows through the passenger side switch. Since you are sure that the passenger side switch works correctly, and the driver's side isn't doing anything correctly, I'd say it's the prime suspect.

Perhaps you can mimic the function of the driver's switch using
some jumpers some jumpers
, and see where that gets you. If you disconnect the passenger side from the driver's side, and mimic with a few jumpers, you can test the function of the passenger side. You'll need both power and ground, and be careful how you hook them up!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I would say the problem is likely in your driver's side switch (or the connection to it). Both the ground and the current for the motor has to flow through the driver's module before it flows through the passenger side switch. Since you are sure that the passenger side switch works correctly, and the driver's side isn't doing anything correctly, I'd say it's the prime suspect.

Perhaps you can mimic the function of the driver's switch using some jumpers, and see where that gets you. If you disconnect the passenger side from the driver's side, and mimic with a few jumpers, you can test the function of the passenger side. You'll need both power and ground, and be careful how you hook them up!
ok thanks for the info. I will go do that now and see if I can figure anything out.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

The solder joints in the switch have been known to crack. Theres a circuit board in there that everything runs thru. You can open it up and resolder if needed (if you do one, do them all), or buy a new switch.

He doesnt cover it, but the buttons for the mirrors do not pop off. They are mounted to the cover itself, from the backside, so let them be.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:12 PM

Thanks fb97! I took both switches apart and found a few broken solder joints. I resoldered all of the joints and hooked everything back up.

Now, I can roll the window up from both sides but not down from either side.......ugh...

I am going to check the wires in the door jamb next. Another thing, it is really hesitant when being rolled up from the driver side, like the flow of electricity is there sometimes and not there other times.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

It's likely you have a combination of bad connections, gunked up motor (old grease gets hard), and broken, but not quite severed, wires in the door jamb.

My normal spiel is to check grounds, but they share their ground with a bazillion other things that would be acting up if that were the problem.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 PM

Ok, so after repairing all the wires in the door looms it STILL only goes up, not down. I have no idea what is causing it. We spent an hour testing the passenger side switch with a multimeter and it all seems good. It still seems like it's the brown and white wire coming from the d side switch but it has continuity and I repaired the gash in it....... ugh... If anyone else has any insight I would really appreciate it. I don't think the motor is gunked up because it goes up and down fine with direct power.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjnm
It still seems like it's the brown and white wire coming from the d side switch but it has continuity

Try running a temporary jumper to replace that wire. See what happens. Nothing fancy - just lay it across the seats. It's just a test, not a replacement.

If that fixes it, I'll explain why.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:59 AM

So I ended up cleaning all the connectors and the switch contacts and that finally fixed it. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

There it is. A gunked up connection can show good on a continuity test, but not pass enough current to operate a device, especially a current hog like a motor.

Good job!
Old 05-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Thanks!