Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window goes down, but not up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default Window goes down, but not up!

Info: 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with power windows and locks

Hey all,

I have done the doorless mod on my XJ and have had it like that for about a year with no problems. now all of a sudden, after having no doors on my Jeep for about 2 days now, i put them back on today, went to roll up my windows and the rear passenger window won't go up. When i use the switch on the drivers door, i get nothing. Neither up, or down. When i push the switch down on the back passenger side, i can hear it click as to pull down and my lights dim a little as if power is getting to it, but when i push up, i get absolutely nothing. I've taken the door panel off both doors and found nothing loose or broken. Took of the kick panel on both the driver and passenger side and all the wires are still in good shape with no wire showing or extreme kinks. last place i checked were the wires in the actual rear door jam itself and STILL found nothing out of the ordinary. My window is stuck down and any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Try spraying lube in the guides where window slides up and down in yet?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Try spraying lube in the guides where window slides up and down in yet?
No, i haven't tried that yet. I was thinking it was an electric issue because i don't hear the motor at all when i push the switch up.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Its a old trick some time tired motors just need a little help . Ever notice windows roll up easier when wet ? Theres also the old smacking the door panel trick where wotors mounted while switchs is depressed. If it goes up id deff start checking into a new motor this is a sign of future failure at the most inopertune times.Like raging rain storm failure..
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Its a old trick some time tired motors just need a little help . Ever notice windows roll up easier when wet ? Theres also the old smacking the door panel trick where wotors mounted while switchs is depressed. If it goes up id deff start checking into a new motor this is a sign of future failure at the most inopertune times.Like raging rain storm failure..
Okay, I've got an update. i unplugged the window motor and hooked direct wire from the battery to the motor and i now have my window up. At least the motor is still good. Now I'm guessing that there is a short somewhere on the positive charge. Either that, or I was thinking that the drivers switchboard is going out because the it unlocks/locks all other doors except the drivers door, and now I don't get anything when I use the rear passenger switch on the drivers door. I think for now since i finally got my window to go all the way up, I'm just going to leave it and look into switching everything over to manual. Thanks for the tip!