Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window issue and part replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Window issue and part replacement.

Hey everyone, so I have two questions about my 2001 2wd xj:

1. My passenger side window is working every now and again but I figure that it's the window lock but my driver side window stopped working one day. It worked perfectly one day and the next it did not. Do you think it is the window lock causing that one as well, if not what could it be and how would I try to fix it?

2. Also my xj has 173000 on it and I am looking in to replacing some parts due to age as everything is still stock and factor from when it came from the factory. What would you all recommend replacing first as I plan on driving it till it dies or becomes to expensive to fix.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:04 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

The window lock issue would not cause your driver-side window to stop working.

The window not working could be a number of things, but you'll need to test for them with a multimeter unless you just want to guess and throw parts at it. Start with the fuse. Next check the switch, lift motor, and door wiring as those are the common problems. Using Google with site:cherokeeforum.com has always helped me immensely with finding solutions these common type problems. Tons of pictures, wiring diagrams, and previous threads that will help walk you through.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

As far as what to replace on your vehicle...it depends on what's been done and what you want from it. Do you have service records? Is it a 4.0L or 2.5L? As a fellow '01 owner, and assuming you just want a reliable daily driver I'd say:

Cooling System: '01 XJs have the 0331 head, so one of the first things I did to mine was replace all the old cooling system components. If they fail and you overheat there's a high risk for a cracked head. At the very least flush the coolant now if you can't remember doing it before.

Brake Lines: I'd check the brake lines, hard and soft, and consider replacing the front's soft lines. With 173k on the clock they are probably coming to the end of their life (mine started to fail at 178k causing a seized caliper). Hard lines start to rust along the frame rail depending on your climate.

Basic Tune: Assuming you have the 4.0L, just take care of it with regular routine maintenance. Spark plugs, oil changes, air filter, etc. The engine is very forgiving, but well-kept will last well past the rest of the vehicle.

Other: New shocks. Anything rubber is likely in need of replacement, but likely not a necessity: swaybar bushings & end links, bump stops (yours are probably dry-rotted), maybe motor mounts...none of this is expensive if you can do it yourself (parts are only a few bucks from RockAuto.com).

Hope this helps.