Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Passenger low beam/HID not working...

Old 04-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Passenger low beam/HID not working...

Hello,

I J ust bought a 2001 GC Ltd. my first vehicle and I have to say I'm very happy with it. A few small peccadilloes but nothing major. A mechanic gave it a green light for purchase but there are a few things that need addressing pronto.

The most important to me being that the low beams only work on one side presently. Though today it is the opposite side from yesterday.

There more going on though, as each side has at times worked, though at no time have they worked simultaneously.

The last owner added Canbus HID lights. I tracked down some new bulbs thinking that must be the problem but it's not so simple. After going through every possible configuration I was unable to get them to work together. The bulbs were tested where I bought them and they all lit up. I was able to make bulbs light up in both the driver and passenger side singly, but not together.

So I figured I'd skirt the hid's which aren't important to me and just revert to stock bulbs. But, I can only get the drivers side to work and not the passenger side at all.

I'm just wondering if this is a reasonably easy fix, or do o need to take it to a garage?

If so, any idea as to what th cost might come to? Even a very ball park idea...

Thanks...
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Do you have a wiring harness on the HID? I had the same issues, after I put a wiring harness in and then I also had to cut the wires to the stock headlamp socket and reconfigure those because my high beams wouldn't work and my highness indicator was on 24/7
Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Yes, it has a wiring harness with four connectors...
Old 04-03-2016, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I'll just go with this. That wj has a bcm. Body control module. And after junk *** hids and a **** ton of leds I'm willing to bet it's crapped out and internally shorted. Seen it many times. Might be a smart idea to take it to a shop.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Since this is my first foray into vehicle ownership, I think that I will take it to a mechanic and just pay the dollars for rectification. Either to fix the hid's or bypass them.

On a side note, are the hid's 'better' enough to pursue a fix, or should I go straight for the bypass?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Get rid of the hids. They are unreliable junk.
Go with a decent normal headlight like silver stars.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Yes, I think there's no need for them.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:36 PM

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not but my friends 96 cherokee is having light issues after a recent k&n intake mod he had to unplug the wiring harness to mount the heat shield and now he doesn't have bright lights or turn signals..we have cleaned and wire brushed the plug and he just tried a headlight switch today....anyone have any solutions we are over looking electrical issues are my nightmare lol thanks
Old 04-23-2020, 10:18 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I've spent the last 4 weeks rebuilding the engine on my MGB, but was perusing cherokeeforum looking for a previous post of mine. Chumbawubma is still running great. A full engine rebuild may next on the car project docket. Chumba wunba has had a tick ever since I replaced the pistons due to the cracked piston skirt. The junk yard radiator I put in during the last repair lasted until ~6 weeks ago. Sprung a leak at the side tank when it got hot. Chumba wunba has 250k miles on it now and still going strong. HArd to believe it's been almost 4 years since that happened. XJs just keep on going.