Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90 XJ drivers side door lock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline
Default 90 XJ drivers side door lock.

Key will NOT turn in the lock so this door cannot be opened from the outside with the key. How can I troubleshoot this pesky problem? Take the lock out and lube it ?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Do you ha email the right key? Has anyone changed the lock cylinder.? The tumblers may have gone out of alignment.

If you disassemble the door, open, from the inside, pulling the cylinder isn't especially hard. I had to do it when changing my window. There are a few little C-clips that were hard to get a hold of and position. The little plastic clips on the hard line s/rods that manipulate the door handles were maybe a bit tricky but do-able once I watched a few videos. Don't break them, they only flip open one way.

You might be able to soak the cylinder in something? I know you can spray lube inside, but I'm pretty sure it has to be a silicone based lube that leaves a thin residual lubrication and not just plain oil or it'll get gummed up. Might even be worth exploring cleaning it out by spraying carb cleaner or some other spray able cleaner in it first. Either way, if you get it off, what's the worst that can happen? It not working some more? Other than the convinence of being able to unlock your door with a key, it doesn't really function in the opening mechanism. Although it would suckered having to go to the junkyard to get door parts if you break the little clips.

Also, please make sure to take a lot of pictures when you first take off the door skin to remember how all the rods and cables are routed and how they snap together. Some of them look remarkably similar. Take picts of where they start and end. Tape labels don't hurt either.

I personally say go get an alarm installed for 100$. It'll open/unlock all your doors and keep your baby safe. Mine even warms it up on cool days and clears my windows for me.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Again, if you just spray some lube in from the outside while it's still on the Jeep, and work the key around... it might be as simple as that. Just don't break it off in the door. Maybe make sure you have an extra copy of the key before you start. And do the go heavy on the lube.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Inline
Default 90 XJ Door Lock

Thanks Billy Boy. It's not THAT important that the door unlock with the key really. It just gets annoying havin' to reach across to the drivers door lock to get into the vehicle. I'll give some lube a shot or two and see what happens.
The passenger side door lock works fine, obviously, so it's not a wash!