Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Left blinker turns in hazards

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Left blinker turns in hazards

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee and every time i turn on the left blinker the hazards come on. The right blinker works fine and so do the hazards, its just the left blinker that is giving me trouble. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

I'm willing to bet it's the flasher unit. It's not the old metal can you're used to. It's square, got nine pins, and has 3 separate logic circuits in it. One for left turn, one for right turn, and one for hazards.

Here's a little odyssey about what went on with mine. It started with the left turn not working in the cold, but as soon as the cabin warmed up, was fine. I tricked it into working by turning the left signal on, then turning the hazards on with the left still on, then canceled the hazards. The left signal would continue to flash then. I then changed the multi-function switch on the column to no effect. This problem got steadily worst until the left wouldn't work at all. After researching this in an FSM manual, I decided to change the flasher. BINGO! That was the problem.

It's a DEFINITE PITA to change, however. It's located on top of the power junction box under the dash behind an aluminum brace that supports the steering column and is NOT removable. I started to dismount the power junction box for access, but decided not to because I was afraid of ruining any of these circuit pin connections and causing MORE problems. I got the old one out with channel-lock pliers, but it took me over an hour to get the new one in! I don't have much feeling in my fingers anymore and working upside down under the dash with hardly any light was a real problem for me. I had a droplight on the floor, but every time I put my fingers up there, they blocked the light.

In order to get to it, you have to remove the fuse cover, the bezel at the bottom of the instrument cluster, and the steering column dash cover.

You can start by replacing the multi-function switch on the column if you want. It's possible that's the problem, but don't hold out much hope that it is.

I downloaded a Full Service Manual from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99 and is the absolute best manual I've ever encountered for my jeep! It's 93mb of pdf files and there are 14 pages just on the signal system! It's year specific for your jeep so be sure you buy the right one. You can check out wjjeeps.com for lots of info about your jeep as well.

I hope this helps and good luck in your endevour.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-07-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Originally Posted by dave1123
I downloaded a Full Service Manual from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99 and is the absolute best manual I've ever encountered for my jeep! It's 93mb of pdf files and there are 14 pages just on the signal system! It's year specific for your jeep so be sure you buy the right one.

I hope this helps and good luck in your endevour.
This is awesome thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Actually it was Fred NOAZZ who turned me on to it. I can't take credit for finding it. It is pretty awesome though.