Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Why am i still overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6
Default Why am i still overheating!

as the title says. im haveing an over heating issue. with in the last year i have replaced the thermostat, the waterpump with a month, and the radiator within hours. and im still over heating.... so im kinda at wits end. what else could possibly cause it to over heat? any advice is absolutley appreciated.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Are your fans working? Couldn't hurt to replace the fan clutch. Might want to pressure test the system, too. Check the e-fan also. If you've overheated enough, you could have a bad head gasket.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 6 cyl

are you overflowing coolant or just overheating?

i would overheat then turn jeep off and overflow i needed a radiator cap mine was sticking and wasn't releasing pressure right
Old 08-02-2013, 01:27 PM

but if the head gasket was bad i would smell burning coolant correct? my old radiator leaked coolant onto the head so im used to the smell. but its gone now. my mechanical fan is spinning haha. im not really sure how to figure out if its actually working haha. i know i need and electrical fan on a switch. i had an electrical fan i dont think it worked i have to test it again.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 6 cyl

run your ac when your ac is on the fan runs see if you run cooler?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM

how do i do the over flow stuff. i have a nother cap off of a zj i had as a donor. does the ac actually have to work? mine needs to be recharged. i actually took the fan out this morning. im gonna just jump it on a booster pack to see if it goes on.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by willdoe
but if the head gasket was bad i would smell burning coolant correct? my old radiator leaked coolant onto the head so im used to the smell. but its gone now. my mechanical fan is spinning haha. im not really sure how to figure out if its actually working haha. i know i need and electrical fan on a switch. i had an electrical fan i dont think it worked i have to test it again.
There are a lot of posts on this site about checking your fan clutch. Google it.

Here is the short version though: Can you freely spin your mech fan once your Jeep is up to temp (and engine off)? If so, it's probably bad. It shouldn't spin more than a 1/4 turn if your up to temp.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM

o wow haha. i thought it was supposed to spin free haha. ooooops haha well i guess i need a fan clutch haha well thats next i guess haha
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM

what if i set the electrical fan to a switch will that help?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

what if i set the electrical fan to a switch will that help?

That's a dollar store bandaid at best. Replace the faulty mechanical clutch. It's only about $30-40 for a new one depending on where you get it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM

UPDATE: IT STILL OVER HEATS! i put a new fan clutch inand it still over heating. the only parts of the cooling system i havent changed are the hoses. could the thermostat be clogged? it would make a difference that i dont have a fan shroud? cause it fell off and got caught in the fan so i tore it of and i havent had a chance to get another.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

UPDATE: IT STILL OVER HEATS! i put a new fan clutch inand it still over heating. the only parts of the cooling system i havent changed are the hoses. could the thermostat be clogged? it would make a difference that i dont have a fan shroud? cause it fell off and got caught in the fan so i tore it of and i havent had a chance to get another.
you def need the fan shroud. they are about 10$ on rockauto or you can probably find one at a junkyard for cheap too.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Year: 2001

There is always the possibility of a faulty new part -OR- more specifically, the WRONG part.

I just went through my cooling system with new hoses, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, flush and fill and fan checks. Did mine because of 154K, 12yrs and previous owner didn't do much service, that and the coolant looked like Starbucks Dark Roast.

With my lack of Jeep experience, I came to the forum to read up on the particulars of the project before I started. The big thing I found that frightened me was talk of two different water pumps that physically fit but the impeller blades were meant for opposite rotation from each other. Specifically NAPA had their water pump part numbers backwards regarding standard & reverse rotation for their impeller fins. Basically you would get the pump by part number from their catalog listing and it would be the opposite impeller fin orientation of what you needed.

The way to tell cosmetically, is a letter "R" stamped on the impeller blade assembly, indicating "Reverse Rotation". If your pump was to be the wrong direction type, then you wouldn't get the right coolant flow through the system and you would have mystery overheat problems.

More specifics are the NAPA Part#TFW 42004 is what their website shows as fitment for 2001 Cherokee XJ. The part description actually states "Standard Rotation", which is exactly what you get but we need "Reverse Rotation". I was going to buy a Gates branded pump from Rock Auto but it Shared the same part number with the NAPA pump so I figured it was also the incorrect fitment of Standard Rotation.

Now, being completely unsure of which would be which when I ordered, I then researched GMB, found Part#110-1080 and their website indicated "Reverse Rotation". I ended up avoiding NAPA & Others and bought a new GMB pump from Amazon. I have had good results with GMB for other applications, so I went with them. The pump was only $25, was new not reman, included a gasket with it and when it arrived it had the letter "R" stamped in the impeller.

I believe all is right with the world and my cooling system seems to be up to spec.

Last edited by sgjii; 08-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.