Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Whats wrong with my jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Whats wrong with my jeep

Everytime I slow down to a stop sign, or stop light, slow down to park, or slowly reverse my jeep dies. Any ideas on what it could be?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Throttle position sensor. Idle air control valve. In need of a tune up? Plugs wires cap rotor and air filter are all thongs that should be checked.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

unfortunately ive never found out like alot of ppl what that problem is u can do what that guy says and try checking and replacing things but its gonna cost hundreds and U might never find out what it is you should try and narrow it down alil more so we can help you so u dont replace a bunch of stuff that dont need changing. list if anything what u have done to your jeep if u put any parts in it what was done??? from what i can tell your problem is prolly fuel related as ive done checked every sensor and vaccum hose except the crank shaft postion sensor and the cts coolant temp sensor if those 2 things are good id say fuel pressure. If your jeep runs fine in park but trys to die in drive check your fuel system you could even try pouring a can of seafoam in your gas tank and see if that clears things up that seafoam will clean out the fuel system so ive read here. Another thing does your jeeps idle bounce up and down while your in park at all. The reason why i think you could have a fuel problem is because what u described can happen when u have lack of fuel pressure when u put the jeep into drive its gonna be calling for more fuel then when ur car is in park to top it all off when u goto completely stop the pressure is already so weak that the car cannot keep itself at a normal enough idle to take off. when your taking off your trying to get the whole car moving again in which there is not enough fuel to do so so the thing chokes and dies or sometimes it might come back if u let off the petal then gas it again. one more thing does it stall right out completely at every stop or does it buck sometimes then take off?

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 07-13-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Year: 1991 XJ Briarwood
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output

what year jeep? if its an older one it may be your ignition coil, if its newer maybe the coil packs
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

ive had that ignition coil replaced in my 89 and the thing still stalls out
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Throttle position sensor. Idle air control valve. In need of a tune up? Plugs wires cap rotor and air filter are all thongs that should be checked.
Lol thongs
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Mine wouldn't idle other than right after it was started. Once you drove it it would stall unless you gave it enough gas to keep it running. I replaced my throttle position sensor located on the throttle body and it fixed it, however I've had to do it twice already.