Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What does an Adjustable track bar do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default What does an Adjustable track bar do?

So I added the 6^5inch rustys lift to my cherokee and i have an adjustable track bar anyone know the right measure length it should be? I'm having trouble when turning my jeep it seems to lean. Anyone know how to fix this prob is it COMMON?

Also Whats a good way to fix a rust through floor board? There is A hole through my rear passenger floor board right above the muffler..
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

When you lift an XJ the stock trackbar shortens which in turn slides the complete front axle to the drivers side a bit. The adjustable lets you recenter the axle so it is equal distance from right to left and positioned in the center of the vehicle as opposed to being more towards the drivers side.

I would measure 2 equal fixed points on the frame of the XJ and use a plumb bob ( or chalk line etc ) to hang from said measured location and find the centerline of the vehicle, then I would measure the centerline of the axle and adjust the track bar accordingly by lengthening or shortening the track bar till both centerlines are even.

It may not be the easiest way or the correct way but it's how I would do it.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

if your gonna do this take your wheels off, drop a plumb bob from the center of your hub mark it with tape, then measure it take and find half use a square to go to the axle and mark your center line on the axle. then measure the front of the jeep find center line on it. remove factory track bar then using the two center lines drop a plumb bob from each then move your steering wheel line them up and adjust the new track bar to fit. after you get that done its a good time to check steering and adjust your tie rods
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

I'm going up 2" in a couple days here and a good buddy of mine who knows what he is talking about told me I should get one. I eventually plan on going higher, maybe in a couple years/months idk.

But my question is, Would I need to buy a seperate adj track bar? I know it is adjustable but just about how far is it adjustable? I have been reading that they can satisfy a 3" but how about only 2"?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by xj guy
I'm going up 2" in a couple days here and a good buddy of mine who knows what he is talking about told me I should get one. I eventually plan on going higher, maybe in a couple years/months idk.

But my question is, Would I need to buy a seperate adj track bar? I know it is adjustable but just about how far is it adjustable? I have been reading that they can satisfy a 3" but how about only 2"?

No you do not need an adj track bar. Look in write up section there is a write up on a mod for stock track bars up to 3in. It should help you out.

Best bet the mod is free no additional parts needed just a few tools.

I did the write-up if you have trouble finding it. Prolly about 4-5 pages back in the write-ups.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
No you do not need an adj track bar. Look in write up section there is a write up on a mod for stock track bars up to 3in. It should help you out.

Best bet the mod is free no additional parts needed just a few tools.

I did the write-up if you have trouble finding it. Prolly about 4-5 pages back in the write-ups.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...rack-bar-4919/

That seems easy enough to do and my wallet would def agree with me on that. The only thing is, I plan to go even higher later on. So do you think it would be worth it for me to just break down and buy it now? That way when I do go higher, I can just adjust it even further?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by xj guy
That seems easy enough to do and my wallet would def agree with me on that. The only thing is, I plan to go even higher later on. So do you think it would be worth it for me to just break down and buy it now?
A lot of folks realize that "later on" can be MUCH later on than they'd anticipated. Adj Track Bars aren't super expensive... I'd get it working now and worry about upgrading to an Adj "later on" when you're actually prepared to install more lift and save your money.