Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What to do with the stock plastic bumpers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What to do with the stock plastic bumpers??

Hey all, Thought I'd ask the experts on some cool ideas for when I take the stock plastic bumpers off the back end! Whats the best thing to do price wise? I'm pretty broke right now and want the plastic junk gone, Just unsure of what exactly I can do that would look cool, but not .... Any Idea's??? The one on the drivers side is falling off, I spray painted them flat black over the summer to buy time still looks okay... Guess I just need some help lol
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by XJNIKKI
Hey all, Thought I'd ask the experts on some cool ideas for when I take the stock plastic bumpers off the back end! Whats the best thing to do price wise? I'm pretty broke right now and want the plastic junk gone, Just unsure of what exactly I can do that would look cool, but not .... Any Idea's??? The one on the drivers side is falling off, I spray painted them flat black over the summer to buy time still looks okay... Guess I just need some help lol
What do you mean price wise? Get a new bumper or something? Or you just want to mess with the old one?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

A riveted bracket on the rear quarter panel holds the rear bumper end caps in place. A lot of people, myself included, don't seen too bothered by leaving them on, but if you want to remove them, you'd have 3 holes in each panel you may be inclined to fill. Other than that, cut and fold your fenders! Search for it on here, lots of good threads with pics! You can cut your rear end caps to make a lower profile front end cap. And I believe vice versa for the rears..

Edit- you asked about cheap- I used plastic garden edging and some nuts/bolts to make (road legal) flares. Cost like 36 bucks for all hardware needed. Assuming you have some tin shears, channel locks or vice grips, and a mallet you can do it everything I said minus the flares for free.

Last edited by VTJeep; 10-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Messing with the old one till I can afford the bumper, thankd for your advice everyone, ill post pics after its surgery lol.