Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What is this?

Hi all. This shows the firewall of my '01 Cherokee. The hose that is vertical and is zip-tied to the wiring harness - which just ends - looks like some kind of valve on the end. What should this be connected to at the other end? It's hanging near the drivers side tire not connected to anything. I don't know how long it's been like that but my last trip home in the Jeep about a month ago, it had a loud internal banging sound. I've been dealing with a cracked head for a while and by the time I figured that out, the oil pressure has dropped to low spec - hovers just above 10 psi at idle. When this noise started, I just figured it threw a rod or had some other major internal damage. But maybe that noise is related to this hose coming disconnected. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by David Edmondson

Hi all. This shows the firewall of my '01 Cherokee. The hose that is vertical and is zip-tied to the wiring harness - which just ends - looks like some kind of valve on the end. What should this be connected to at the other end? It's hanging near the drivers side tire not connected to anything. I don't know how long it's been like that but my last trip home in the Jeep about a month ago, it had a loud internal banging sound. I've been dealing with a cracked head for a while and by the time I figured that out, the oil pressure has dropped to low spec - hovers just above 10 psi at idle. When this noise started, I just figured it threw a rod or had some other major internal damage. But maybe that noise is related to this hose coming disconnected. Thanks.
It isn't. That's the breather hose for the front diff.

You have bigger issues, LOL

"Dealing with a cracked head"...by dealing you mean driving it, and just adding coolant?

Time for a new motor.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:26 PM

Thanks Roninofako.
Dealing with cracked head by adding stop leak and driving it. Yes, I know it's not looking good. I've pulled the valve cover - and despite frequent oil changes there is a ton of sludge in amongst the valve train. It's ugly. Wish I'd figured out the cracked head sooner.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by David Edmondson
Thanks Roninofako.
Dealing with cracked head by adding stop leak and driving it. Yes, I know it's not looking good. I've pulled the valve cover - and despite frequent oil changes there is a ton of sludge in amongst the valve train. It's ugly. Wish I'd figured out the cracked head sooner.
ouch, I drove mine longer than I should with a cracked head as well, but knew I was not going to put a new head on 230k block, bought a remanufactured long block, with new water pump, ect... only ran about 2500.00 out the door, if doing the labor yourself, new or reman engine is the way to go.

Thats a good spot for the diff breather, I need to relocate mine, it's way to low right now.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:43 PM

Roninofako - yes, it seems as if some of the engine internals are ever so slightly worn....

Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ouch!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

bet it sounded rough!!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Correct me if I'm wrong but spec says oil pressure at idle should be just above 10psi like u state, or 12 to be exact. thats where mine sits at idle.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 AM

Update: I'm choosing to rebuild it myself - in my gravel driveway. Ouch! Engine block is staying in the vehicle. I've pulled main bearing caps and plastigage says the clearances are within spec. I'm not pulling the camshaft. Lifters show no wear. Of course, that's just an eyeball check. Looking through the ports, the cam-lobes don't show any unusual wear either. I've ordered some parts. Others, I'll buy local lay. From what I've gathered, I'm leaning toward ordering the head from Clearwater. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, as for my original post here - I was dreaming of some magical cure so I wouldn't have to do real work.

Chanson: Specs for oil pressure at idle shows 13psi to be at the low end. I'm guessing the dash mounted oil pressure gauge is not extremely accurate. Judging by the look of my bearings, it's obvious why I'm showing low.

Last edited by David Edmondson; 04-07-2016 at 02:26 AM.