Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water pump give up on me? Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Water pump give up on me? Please help!!

So I drove around all day today and no problem. Go to Home Depot, come out, and there's a puddle under my Jeep. Didn't think anything of it, as the whole parking lot looked that way. Got home (2 minute drive) go out to the garage and there's a puddle under the Jeep. Definitely isn't oil, so it must be coolant, right?

I was trying to spot the leak, but couldn't see anything. Turned the Jeep on and revved it a couple times to try and locate the leak. During the revs I get a light but high pitched squeal (sounds like a pulley squeal to me). Noticed I had a small leak out of the upper radiator hose, but that wasn't enough to create the puddle underneath (it's like a drop every 2 seconds). So I wanted to get your guys thoughts....

I'm assuming water pump? But I can't see the bottom side of it to know for sure. It had to have just started because my reservoir is still at the full line.

Please help a mechanically inclined noob out!!! I'm pretty bummed as I went out to install leaf spring bushings and prepare for my lift tomorrow. I guess that's on hold now.

Edit: Low miles, btw. Just about 73,500.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 05-29-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Well, just based on your post I would replace the radiator hose. You could refresh everything in the cooling system but sounds like it might just be a hose.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Well, just based on your post I would replace the radiator hose. You could refresh everything in the cooling system but sounds like it might just be a hose.
Right. I plan on replacing the hose. But the leak from that is small. After noticing the leak in the hose, I turned the jeep off, but there was more coolant dripping down than what came from the hose.

I literally got home, went inside for a minute, went back outside and there was a decent sized puddle. I feel like just the small leak in the hose couldn't have caused that.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Right. I plan on replacing the hose. But the leak from that is small. After noticing the leak in the hose, I turned the jeep off, but there was more coolant dripping down than what came from the hose.

I literally got home, went inside for a minute, went back outside and there was a decent sized puddle. I feel like just the small leak in the hose couldn't have caused that.
Engine running and circulating is different than parked. But I'm not trying to convince you to not do anything. Once you drain the system it's a good time to do it all(flush, hoses, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, even the radiator). Lots of threads on the subject, about 230-240 buck for the parts.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The weep hole is on the bottom of the pump. You need to get on your back and slide up under the front end of your truck with a flashlight and look for this:

Yours will likely be a lot messier than that little drip in the photo, but that's where you need to look. If you still have your mud/water shield under the bottom, you might have to pull it aside to see up in there. Be careful when you do in case any coolant has pooled on it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:32 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by extrashaky
The weep hole is on the bottom of the pump. You need to get on your back and slide up under the front end of your truck with a flashlight and look for this:

Yours will likely be a lot messier than that little drip in the photo, but that's where you need to look. If you still have your mud/water shield under the bottom, you might have to pull it aside to see up in there. Be careful when you do in case any coolant has pooled on it.
Yay! Excellent photo.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yay! Excellent photo.
I keep stealing it without ever really paying attention to where I get it. Is that one of yours?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I keep stealing it without ever really paying attention to where I get it. Is that one of yours?
Maybe. Or I stole it first!! LOL.

Go to my technical photos in the link below and steal away.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

I spent like an hour inside the engine bay and under the jeep trying to find where it was coming from, and I still couldn't tell. It seemed to be coming from the front of the engine. I'll go back out now that I have more light to give it a look.

I don't really have the time to order parts and wait. My jeep is my DD, and I have no other transportation during the week while its down. I can use my girlfriends car to go get stuff over the weekend, but I don't want to mindlessly throw parts at it.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Banned

I spent like an hour inside the engine bay and under the jeep trying to find where it was coming from, and I still couldn't tell. It seemed to be coming from the front of the engine. I'll go back out now that I have more light to give it a look.
1. Use a flashlight.

2. Reach up under there and wipe the lower hose off with a rag. Then start the engine and let it run briefly to start leaking, then look again.

What you've described so far sounds like the water pump. If it's gone far enough it will spray like a **** out of that weep hole and go everywhere. You can get a water pump locally for about the same price as online, so you should be able to get this fixed this weekend if that turns out to be the problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Went back out and I definitely need to replace the upper rad hose. But I climbed underneath and it looks like coolant was dripping down like the picture you showed. It's not currently wet, but it looks like coolant recently ran down it that same type of way. I also have coolant that ran down onto the bottom of the oil pan.

I'm thinking if I replace the upper rad hose and the water pump I might be alright.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

I'm thinking if I replace the upper rad hose and the water pump I might be alright.
While you're in there, it might be a good idea to go ahead and replace the thermostat and lower hose also. If the upper hose and lower hose are the same age and the upper one is cracking, the lower hose is probably not long for this world either. If you do it right this time, it'll prevent you from being back in this position a few months down the road. And the thermostat is just right there begging to be changed.

Does the '97 have the clamp type hose clamps or the kind that screw down to tighten? If it's the clamp type, that lower hose clamp can be a pain in the **** to get loose. You'll either want a very long pair of pliers or a hose clamp tool like this:

Some Sears stores carry those locally. They ain't cheap, but they make the world a much friendlier place while you're under there.

You will also find that lower hose a whole helluva lot easier to pull off the water pump if you have one of these:

You can pick those up cheap at Harbor Freight. Slip that hook up under the edge of the hose, work it around, and the hoses come right off. Of course you can always just use a big flat screwdriver, but when you're under pressure to get the job done that hook definitely helps.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Pressurize the system with a tester. Rent it from the parts store.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Default Fixed!

Well, it had to have been the water pump and upper rad hose. This was honestly my first repair on a vehicle, and it wasn't too bad. I just took my sweet sweet time. Took me about 8 hours, but I took three trips to the store, went to a friends house for a tool (stayed for a beer), and about an hour for dinner. All in all probably about 6 hours. Again, I was really taking my time and trying to stay organized. I think that's pretty good for my first repair. Next time will be faster.

I replaced the WP, upper and lower rad hoses, and the inlet tube to the WP. I also put new hose clamps on so I don't have to deal with the spring ones anymore. All seems good now and temp even sits a couple degrees cooler than before.

30 miles all express way to and from work, so tomorrow will be a good test. I made sure to keep plenty of coolant and some tools in the jeep just in case.

Edit: I also put in a new t-stat. Forgot to mention that.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 05-31-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM

Well, it had to have been the water pump and upper rad hose. This was honestly my first repair on a vehicle, and it wasn't too bad. I just took my sweet sweet time. Took me about 8 hours, but I took three trips to the store, went to a friends house for a tool (stayed for a beer), and about an hour for dinner. All in all probably about 6 hours. Again, I was really taking my time and trying to stay organized. I think that's pretty good for my first repair. Next time will be faster.

I replaced the WP, upper and lower rad hoses, and the inlet tube to the WP. I also put new hose clamps on so I don't have to deal with the spring ones anymore. All seems good now and temp even sits a couple degrees cooler than before.

30 miles all express way to and from work, so tomorrow will be a good test. I made sure to keep plenty of coolant and some tools in the jeep just in case.
Doesn't get any better than that.

Quick Reply: Water pump give up on me? Please help!!