Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Voltage at start solenoid

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Voltage at start solenoid

I'm trying to get a 90 renix 4.0 right and am finally close. There is an orange wire on the start sol that is for the o2 sensor I believe. I'm using a different solenoid and need to know if the wire receives voltage on start only, or on start and run. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Looking for clarification; in your post you are asking about an orange wire located on the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is attached to the starter motor. There is also the starter relay which is located behind the battery. Which one are you referring to?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 PM

My bad, I'm tired. It's the starter relay which was mounted next to the other relays on the right fender well. I've studied wiring diagrams but can't figure it out. I'm no longer using that relay so I have no way to test it.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Anyone? Somebody has to know the answer.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

This help.....
Attached Thumbnails Voltage at start solenoid-wiring_diagrams_html_55213c1b.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Is this past post in relation to your current post?

Renix 4.0 issues from 08-03-2014
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/renix-4-0-issues-197432/
OP by charlieswann
Hi folks. I pulled a good running 4.0 from a 90 Cherokee and dropped it in a 79 CJ (both Jeeps were free, the 90 body was shot). In the conversion I used a Hesco relocation kit for the CPS, moving it to the damper. It cranked on the first try and was idling fairly well but would not throttle up. I metered all the sensors per instructions I found here and the TPS is off by .1v, I broke the wires off the o2, and the knock sensor is cracked so probably no good, but I'm not sure those last two would affect the engine in this way. Using a timing light on the plug wires, I found the ignition breaking down when trying to throttle up, some wires had misses, others quit firing all together. They all fire pretty well at idle. I put an ignition module in it and no change. The coil appears to be working well. I installed my own ground block on the firewall and tapped in all the harness grounds to it. While working on this problem the last couple of weekends, the engine has now gone in to a no start condition and requires a small shot of starting fluid and it then fires up. So I readjusted the CPS and the idle went substantially higher. I don't get that, but I don't know much about the Renix. The CPS puts out varying voltage all above .5 and less than 1, but it's all over the place. I have 39 lbs fuel pressure at the rail, and haven't tested it while running.
I did cut a bunch of wire out of the harness. Other than the sensor, injector and ignition system, I didn't use much from the Cherokee harness, didn't need it. I cut all the wire going to a module that had been under the dash, I don't know what it was for. And all the wire that wraps around the front of Cherokee and to the firewall connector got cut.
I'm running short of ideas and hoping someone here is really good with the Renix and can offer suggestions on where to go next.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks much for the diagram. Yes Dj they are related in that I am still trying to get this engine running. Since that time I have replaced every sensor and the entire ignition system except for the distributor and computer and had it running fairly well until it crapped out Friday and went back to the no start condition. That orange/black trace wire on the relay is one that I do not have hooked up currently and am not real sure what it's for but if I can figure out how to blow up that diagram above I'll get it figured out.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 PM

I cannot figure out how to make that diagram large enough to read.