Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Renix 4.0 issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Renix 4.0 issues

Hi folks. I pulled a good running 4.0 from a 90 Cherokee and dropped it in a 79 CJ (both Jeeps were free, the 90 body was shot). In the conversion I used a Hesco relocation kit for the CPS, moving it to the damper. It cranked on the first try and was idling fairly well but would not throttle up. I metered all the sensors per instructions I found here and the TPS is off by .1v, I broke the wires off the o2, and the knock sensor is cracked so probably no good, but I'm not sure those last two would affect the engine in this way. Using a timing light on the plug wires, I found the ignition breaking down when trying to throttle up, some wires had misses, others quit firing all together. They all fire pretty well at idle. I put an ignition module in it and no change. The coil appears to be working well. I installed my own ground block on the firewall and tapped in all the harness grounds to it. While working on this problem the last couple of weekends, the engine has now gone in to a no start condition and requires a small shot of starting fluid and it then fires up. So I readjusted the CPS and the idle went substantially higher. I don't get that, but I don't know much about the Renix. The CPS puts out varying voltage all above .5 and less than 1, but it's all over the place. I have 39 lbs fuel pressure at the rail, and haven't tested it while running.
I did cut a bunch of wire out of the harness. Other than the sensor, injector and ignition system, I didn't use much from the Cherokee harness, didn't need it. I cut all the wire going to a module that had been under the dash, I don't know what it was for. And all the wire that wraps around the front of Cherokee and to the firewall connector got cut.
I'm running short of ideas and hoping someone here is really good with the Renix and can offer suggestions on where to go next.