Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Voltage drop when wet / wheel wobble plus a few others

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-L6 4X2
Default Voltage drop when wet / wheel wobble plus a few others

I have a list of questions. 99 cherokee sport 4.0

1) When I drive in the rain if I go through a good size puddle on regular road my voltage level will drop and you can see a power drain. I am thinking possibly because the rubber shroud is hanging and not covering altenator?

2) Wheel wobble comes and goes around 62mph. Could just be that the roads up here in MA suck or possible problem. Tires are due for new. So I am thinking after new tires and alignment should be good. Anyones thoughts?

3) Fog light switch. indicator on fog light doesn't work nor do fog lights. Have checked fuse and bulbs are good. Went to relay panel in engine (A/C and fog light relay same) swaped them no love. wanted AC so swaped back.
I am thinking bad fog light switch in (radio/ac control/ rear defrost/foglight and rear wiper panel) center dash panel. Want to check switch how do you get the panel off that surrounds the radio and switches?

I will post more later. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

I don't think the rubber shroud would help your charging problem, maybe a ground issue
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Blackburn
I don't think the rubber shroud would help your charging problem, maybe a ground issue
X2 on the rubber shroud not being the problem. I had removed mine b/c it was shredded. Never replaced it. Could be a bad ground as blackburn suggests or it could be the altenator is getting ready to go belly up on ya.

No advice on the fog light stuff as it is too new for my books so mine is different.

New tires, balanced and a good alignment plus check trackbar bushings and control arm bushings

Last edited by BlueXJ; 07-06-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Short Bus Motorsports

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

It could the alternator belt is loose or in need of replacement, when it gets wet it slips and not fully running the alternator.

The fog light switch, pull the surround from around the radio and heater controls. There should be I think 4 screws that hold that panel in. Get a test light and see if you have power into the switch if so see if there is power out.

Sounds like its time for some new skins, like it was said new tires check the front end over and get a good alignment.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Did you have the headlight switch on when you tried the fog lights? My fog lights on my ZJ will not work unless headlights are on low beam or just parking lights are on. When I first got mine I thought something was wrong with the fog lights also, then I read the owners manual
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Renix Super Guru

Thanks drakan I failed to mention that. Thought everyone knew that they were wired that way.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0 I-L6 4X2

I gotr into the center panel. I just pulled on the right bottom corner and that side poped off. So I yanked the rest. Came off like a charm. I thought i was gonna break it. Took the foglight switch out. Dismantled it. You8 could see the burn marks on the contacts. It actually burned through the metal a bit beyond repair. Just old. Cleaned it up the best I could. Fog lightsd lit off if I held it on a certain way so I need to get a new switch.

Still need to try the belt for the power issue. That was what I was thinking or the ground issue.

Tires will come.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 PM

1. Rip off the shroud, it's useless. Just the simple act of water hitting your alternator should not cause a power drop unless there are other issues with the alt.. Check the connections. All clean and tight from the battery? At the battery? And then there's the grounds, batt to chassis, block to body etc. Charging problem is not likely the belt unless it's SUPER loose, you'd know from the squeal.

2. Wobble at 62 is almost certainly a wheel balance or out of round issue. Unless you're lifted over 3-4" and don't havce a new or adj. trac bar. Get the new tires, have them dyno balanced. Go from there, they should check the alignment and give you the numbers for free, especially if you're buying tires. Ask them to throw in an alignment, they might!!

3. Buy and install new switch, and yes, legally fog lights only come on with low beams, otherwise they're "off-road driving lights" and probably illegal in most states on the hiway.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Renix Super Guru

Paradise you sound pretty knowledgeable. Glad you joined our little forum. We need more folks that can answer wobble questions for the members. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Nice post ParadiseXJ...
I never had much idea about Wooble...
Good thing you've posted this for additional info...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

That darn wobble is a pain in the ****..mine has a little but I figure once I get the lift in, new track bar, ball joints and such to accompany the new tie rods I should be golden..Although I suspect mine is cause by my LCA's being wore out in a bad way..