Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Vibrations

So to today I replaced my motor mounts and my trany mount. They were kinda bad When I was done I took it for a test drive and I feel more vibrations than before. Is that normal? Thanks for your help! I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee with about 270 miles.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: inline 6
Default wow

By the looks of that i'm guessing you might have other issues that need looked at.Dont ya ever look under that thing?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Well the clear movement the engine had with no mount may have concealed steering link issues. Start trying to rattle your steering items (tack bar, tie rod, pitman arm, etc) see if anything is loose. I know a guy that though he had driveline vibes but it was actually his track bar bushings that were jacked up. If all that is fine check the drive line.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well, now that you don't have a 500# engine banging around like a BB in a bucket, I bet you do feel more vibs.
Ever consider doing some basic maintenance and noggin pokin to this poor ole rig? 270k it's about time.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.

Get under it and check your control arm bushings as well. Both upper and lower.

If that's what your motor mounts look like, I would imagine your other stress points look similar as well.

My motor mounts looked like yours when I changed mine. PO left it to die.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 AM

Thank you for the great info! This guy has been through a lot! The past owner made sure of that. Since buying last year I have done a lot of work.About two weeks ago I replaced the wheel bearings that were roaring! Also the transmission, exhaust manifold, steering stabilizer and the list goes on. So don't worry I'm not about to let go anytime soon. I haven't done much suspension work yet. How much of a hassle are they to replace? I'm limited in the tools I have. Not saying I'm not up for the challenge I just want to know what I'm getting into.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Depending on which component it can be very irritating. Even then it can be a shot in the dark. Rust, threadlock, and unknown PO fixes can make for problems and broken bolts. Welding is a good trait to have I've noticed after reading on here awhile.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

When I replace the engine mounts, I leave the through bolts and mounting studs/bolts a bit loose. I then start the engine and rev it a few times and shift the auto trans through the gears and back into Park. I then shut the engine off and tighten the bolts. Kinda lets everything "settle in".

Also, be sure to do some noggin pokin where the exhaust goes ofver the crossmember peer the attached photo which I stole from someone here.
Attached Thumbnails Vibrations-transmission-mount-bracket.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you get vibrations only when driving or do you feel vibrations in the steering wheel when sitting still?

If while driving, inspect the front drive shaft U-Joints and rear drive shaft U-Joints for any evidence of wear.

Is your Heep lifted?

Originally Posted by ammonllewis1
So to today I replaced my motor mounts and my trany mount. They were kinda bad When I was done I took it for a test drive and I feel more vibrations than before. Is that normal? Thanks for your help! I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee with about 270 miles.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: inline 6
Default yep

Originally Posted by cruiser54
When I replace the engine mounts, I leave the through bolts and mounting studs/bolts a bit loose. I then start the engine and rev it a few times and shift the auto trans through the gears and back into Park. I then shut the engine off and tighten the bolts. Kinda lets everything "settle in".

Also, be sure to do some noggin pokin where the exhaust goes ofver the crossmember peer the attached photo which I stole from someone here.
Mine was vibrating.New mount.Nice and quiet now.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Default update

Ok so checking things out a little more, so the jeep is lifted 3" the exhaust hanger piece that is supposed to hold up the exhaust is broken and needs to be re welded. I feel the most vibs when I am in reverse especially but I feel some in idle and in drive sitting still. Do you think there might be something wrong with the transmission? I also have a small ticking noise coming from the bell housing but I think that's just from the screws holding the flex plate to the torch converter rubbing against the out side cover.

Also looking under the jeep and around the suspension I can see bushings that are cracked and sagging, also I still have the stock track bar. Doing some reading and exploring some say that I need an adjustable track bar. Which seems like a good idea. If I replace the control arm bushing's is it easier to just replace the control arms as a whole piece or just the bushing's? Thank you guys again for your help!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:03 PM

Ok so checking things out a little more, so the jeep is lifted 3" the exhaust hanger piece that is supposed to hold up the exhaust is broken and needs to be re welded. I feel the most vibs when I am in reverse especially but I feel some in idle and in drive sitting still. Do you think there might be something wrong with the transmission? I also have a small ticking noise coming from the bell housing but I think that's just from the screws holding the flex plate to the torch converter rubbing against the out side cover.

Also looking under the jeep and around the suspension I can see bushings that are cracked and sagging, also I still have the stock track bar. Doing some reading and exploring some say that I need an adjustable track bar. Which seems like a good idea. If I replace the control arm bushing's is it easier to just replace the control arms as a whole piece or just the bushing's? Thank you guys again for your help!
Look here:
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Here
Attached Thumbnails Vibrations-transmission-mount-bracket.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 PM

What am I looking for?..
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 PM

What am I looking for?..
Exhaust parts touching the cross member.

Quick Reply: Vibrations