Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration STILL here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vibration STILL here...

OK guys... I changed my u joins (2) on my main driveshaft. I changed my Trans mount. My motor mounts. Still have a little vibration during the first 2 or 3 Seconds of any gear when accelerating. Are there torque specs these are all supposed to be at? Can you accidentally break any of the bolts if you crank them down? (On any of the mounts I mean) or.. is this normal break in? It's a bit annoying and I doubt they came from the factory this way.

As always, any help appreciated.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
OK guys... I changed my u joins (2) on my main driveshaft. I changed my Trans mount. My motor mounts. Still have a little vibration during the first 2 or 3 Seconds of any gear when accelerating. Are there torque specs these are all supposed to be at? Can you accidentally break any of the bolts if you crank them down? (On any of the mounts I mean) or.. is this normal break in? It's a bit annoying and I doubt they came from the factory this way.

As always, any help appreciated.
How long ago did you change them? Took mine a good month or more to start feeling normal and it's still not like what is why prior to them going bad. But i realized it's 17 y/o jeep and have come to live it.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Good point... maybe that factory feel is just gone. I just had no idea if this was even relatively normal or I did something wrong. All the changes were pretty straight forward.

I also kinda felt like if I had taken this in to be fixed and it still vibrated I'd be taking it back tho. Anyone else think this is just breaking in?