Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No start issue

Hey all,
Having some issues with my son's new jeep. It is a 1998 Cherokee Classic with about 160k on it. Bought it about 4 months ago.

The first time the problem occurred, the car had been sitting for a few hours when he tried starting it. The engine cranked but didn’t start.
He tried again and it started but idled at about 250 rpms then died. When he tried again, it didn’t crank at all. The gauges were not working properly and the gas gauge read empty.
On the last time, it cranked, turned over, and started perfectly and idled normally. He shut it off and came back a few hours later and it did the same thing. Crank with no start, or start with stalling, or no response. He went to the battery and saw there was some corrosion on the negative terminal. He loosened the nut, cleaned the terminal off and tightened it back on. When he tried it again, the engine turned on and ran fine, where he then drove home.
A few days later I tried to start it. At first it started right up. Idled perfect. I could rev it up with no issues. I shut it down and when I tried to start it again I had the same issues my son had above. Low RPM hard to keep running. When it stalled, I could crank it but it was hard to keep it running and then nothing. No starter click. I could hear what I think is the priming from the fuel pump but that is it. Did some reading about all of the crankshaft position sensor issues so I replaced that. First try after that it started right up. Thought it was fixed, but when I shut it down the issue is back.

When I turn the key everything dims. Dash lights don't come on for a while and after a few seconds they sometimes come on. Thought it may be a low voltage issue so I but some jumpers on it and now I get a rapid clicking from the starter, but it is not turning the engine. Using a volt meter I did check the voltage at the starter and it is getting battery power level to the starter.

Getting frustrated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Ok... so very odd. brought starter in to be tested. Tested good.... While they (advance Auto) was testing it, I noticed a few sparks. I looked at the + post and it was loose. Broke off inside. Got new starter... all good.