Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

? On upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ? On upper control arms

A few of you no I had the dealth wobble from the dealth wobble thread.
I have a pop when turning. So I started looking around it seems the front differential is moving side to side My question is do the bushing wear out or do I need new control arms? 01 sport with a 3 inch rusty lift

The axle is pretty much moving with the wheel about a inch or so
Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Prime suspect for this kind of movement and death wobble is a loose or worn trackbar mount. Yes, control arm bushings can be worn-out and can also cause some movement. Loose or worn tie-rod ends are also possible DW contributor, along with ball joints. If you get under the Jeep and have someone turn the wheel for you. you should be able to see wear the excess axle movement is coming from, watch ALL the mounting points, Trackbar Axle and Frame, control arms axle and frame, in particular for your symptom.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM

I have a new track bar just got it aligned good ball joints and new tie rod ends also the lift is new and new steering stabilizer.

The upper control arms are walking back and forth when I turn the wheel a half inch or so back and forth the front walks side to side a little.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

when you put the new track bar in how loose was the bolt on the axle side mount? was it tight to the metal or did the hole look way to big for it?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
when you put the new track bar in how loose was the bolt on the axle side mount? was it tight to the metal or did the hole look way to big for it?
I did not install it a friend owned the Jeep and did all the lift only thing I have done is the new steering stabilizer witch covered up the wobble Now I want to fix the control arms or find out why I have the walking front diff

So any thoughts or Ideas is great Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

That lift doesn't come with Upper control arms. Unless you purchased them along with the lift. If that's the case. Your stock UCA bushings are shot. Which isn't irregular. Rusty's UCA are $130. They use OEM bushings. From my experience. I give the bushings a 5 year lift span.
If your getting movement. I'd check the torque on the LCA bolts.
Oh and check that lower nut on the track bar where it meets the axle. The threaded area inside the mount strips out very easily. I have a nut and bolt in mine. Also running a Rusty's lift.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 07Negative
That lift doesn't come with Upper control arms. Unless you purchased them along with the lift. If that's the case. Your stock UCA bushings are shot. Which isn't irregular. Rusty's UCA are $130. They use OEM bushings. From my experience. I give the bushings a 5 year lift span.
If your getting movement. I'd check the torque on the LCA bolts.
It has the stock upper and lowers on it is there a poly urethane bushings kit or do I just need to replace the upper arms all together?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

look into getting a set of adjustable arms,JKS,Daystar,RE or RC.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

You can go either way. My snobby self would tell you to buy Rusty's UCA. They come with new bushings and are a hell of alot better quality then stock. The lesser expensive way is to just put new bushings in the existing UCA.
Some people are all hyped up on urethane bushings. I however am not. Especially on a Short arm lift kit. Short arms already ride a bit rough. Where as long arm kits ride way smoother. Urethane is just gonna make that Short arm ride that much rougher. But yes, rubber bushings do go out much faster. Pick your poisson if you will.
But listen to what POS posted a few postings ago as well. If that hole in the lower track bar mount hollows its self out. You'll need to address that stat!

Edit: Did you say you have both stock UCA and LCA? The 3.5" kit comes with LCA. Regardless. If you have both stock set of arms. Upgrade them and be done with it. As for the Adjustable Control arms comment above. I agree if you have the funds and if you plan on going higher. Otherwise, not necessarily worth the money if your happy with height and don't plan on going higher.

Last edited by 07Negative; 07-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Not sure it's to hot out to check on the bolt and the lower control arms lol I will address these this week possibly and will get back to you guys on what I find Thanks for the Info Is there a certain place you get your Off road parts from I have delt with National Tire and Wheel any other place you prefer cheaper Again Thanks guys