Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

U joint replacement help before i hit the trail.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Default U joint replacement help before i hit the trail.

hey guys, i am undertaking doing my u joint on driverside frontend this weekend. and i need any advice, pointers, write ups, or videos that could help.

My u joint started clicking a little bit back but has since stopped, i figure i should still replace it any way before i hit the trail. id hate to get stuck up there. after this hopefully she will hold up for a run or two!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 PM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

It's fairly straight forward, to be honest. Gotta pull the unibearing off and then slide the shaft out to remove the joint. I don't know how you planned to get the old one off/new one on, but I'd recommend a small press. The bearing caps on mine were rusted quite nicely to the shaft itself, so it took quite a bit of force to break them loose, even after a two day soak of PB Blaster and LOTS of heat!

If you're taking the time to do one side, it'd probably be a good idea to do the other, unless you've done it recently. If one side is bad, chances are the other isn't too far behind. Not really a hard job, just time consuming. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Litre HO

Invest in a ball joint/u joint press. You'll be glad you did. Once you've got it pressed together, smack it with a hammer to break free some of the rust and they should come right out. Should really only take no more than a half hour a side if you have the right tools
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

In my experience they may not wear at the same rate or fail at the same time. If one is making rust and the other is not, then the seals probably failed in the rusty one and the other may have plenty of life left. A press sure beats sockets and a 5 lb hammer. If your unit bearing hasn't been out in a while then there will probably be a lot of rust holding it in and getting it out may be the most time consuming part of the job. Wire brush the unit bearing and knuckle mating surfaces and put antiseize on them before reassembly. Penetrant will probably help on the unit bearing bolts which are 13mm 12 point. Once you get the unit bearing out and the axle shaft out of it, you'll need to pop the C-clips on the u-joint off (screwdriver) and then use a hammer and sockets or a press to get the old u-joint out and the new one in.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

A couple of tips. You can use the power steering to pop the hub free. With the bolts out, a 3/8 extension can be fit, rear hole IIRC, against something so as when you turn it will pop the hub out.

The other is to be careful to not bend an "ear" pressing the new in. Get it tight, than whack/tease it, re-press, whack, repeat. Myself, and at least one other found it to be nutty tight! (he bent his).

Here's my thread, a little choppy, but might be some help, mine was supper onary> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...-disco-147978/
Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
A couple of tips. You can use the power steering to pop the hub free. With the bolts out, a 3/8 extension can be fit, rear hole IIRC, against something so as when you turn it will pop the hub out.

The other is to be careful to not bend an "ear" pressing the new in. Get it tight, than whack/tease it, re-press, whack, repeat. Myself, and at least one other found it to be nutty tight! (he bent his).

Here's my thread, a little choppy, but might be some help, mine was supper onary> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...-disco-147978/
Right. And to be honest, this is probably going to take significantly longer than 30 minutes if it's your first time.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by md21722
Right. And to be honest, this is probably going to take significantly longer than 30 minutes if it's your first time.
Gotcha I'll put aside the afternoon then!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by md21722
Ha! Yea. Just the lugs and the three hub bolts to have it out...oh and the caliper. But that's just pulling the axle. Really, it can go easy. Then the fun starts. Btw a shop might press the U-joints for a reasonable price if you don't want to tackle it. (just bring in the axle and U-joint) Sort of a pain, that. I've had it done for a 12 pack.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Ha! Yea. Just the lugs and the three hub bolts to have it out...oh and the caliper. But that's just pulling the axle. Really, it can go easy. Then the fun starts. Btw a shop might press the U-joints for a reasonable price if you don't want to tackle it. (just bring in the axle and U-joint) Sort of a pain, that. I've had it done for a 12 pack.
I was going to try to do the "hammer" method, is it worth it to just get them pressed by a shop?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

I've always done them myself. (especially now that I have a giant vise). That one I mentioned...I "threw a cap" on the highway, literally coasted into a Napa parking lot where they told me about a Harley shop a block away. (hence the 12 pack). Give it a go! If it kicks your *** you can still always take it in. Usually they go easy...that one in my thread really surprised me. ("in my sleep" )
Old 05-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Whether or not you pay someone to do the work depends on your preferences. I generally do work myself, but over the winter I had a tie rod go out and paid a shop to do it. I didn't feel like laying on my back in a cold garage in puddles of water from melting snow on the Jeep. With no special tools required its a good candidate to do yourself, but if you have doubts I'd take it somewhere. For what its worth, the front left axle shaft u-joint on my 01 XJ is the first u-joint I ever replaced myself.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 PM

had to bump up the timeline a little. the tire started wobbling on my way to work this morning...... gonna try it tonight! you guys have inspired confidence though i think i can do it, got it soaking in pb blaster right now.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

A U-Joint won't make the tire wobble. Jack it up, wiggle it, and find where the play is.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM

A U-Joint won't make the tire wobble. Jack it up, wiggle it, and find where the play is.

freak i hope its not a bearing.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not sure of year changes. There are allot of places for play. Sometimes if it's only around one speed range, say 45-50, vibration is wheel balance.

Name:  alignment01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  98.0 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: U joint replacement help before i hit the trail.