Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

turn signal madness

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Arrow turn signal madness

ok, here goes, i searched the forums and found a solution to my problem wich is, the left indicator stays lit but the right indicator on the dash isnt lit, the left running/turn signal light does not light up with lights on, both signals work just not the drivers side running light, i wiggled the rear ground on the drivers side turn signal and it cleared up.. so, end of story, so i thought... about 2 days later it rained and now its back to the same thing, before i wiggled the ground in the turn signal socket the drivers side wouldnt light at all, with the lights on, after, everything worked fine, now the turn signal works but the driving light doesnt light up, and both sides in front are very dim.. and only the drivers side dash indicator stays lit with the lights on.... so, i figure i have a ground issue, just not sure where to look.. also, the dim front turn signals/driving lights?

not sure if that all that makes sense but hopefully it does to somebody with the right idea..

thanks in advance and sorry for the poor dictation..

didnt mean to steal the madness title, must of cuaght it out the side of my eye.. hehe..
ok, so i had a drink or 9.. ... again, thanks in advance for help..

Last edited by ayagle; 05-10-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: sorry, its an 89 cherokee, 4.0, automatic, 4x4
Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

try a new set of bulbs and then cleaning up all the corroded wire connectors and sockets... a lil scotch pad or sos pad should spiff them up a little bit, just give them a better conection
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM

how do i clean up the connections in the sockets?.. they dont come out.. and like i said, after wiggleing the rear ground everything worked fine for two days, now the turn signal still works but the indicator light wont come on in that part of the front bulb.. tried new bulbs but it doesnt help..

thanks though.. sorry but need more feed back
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

if the bulbs don't come out then your gonna have to get a little dangerous and break the bulbs and then ugly-fy the core of the bulb to get it out.... then after removing the bulb take a small flat head screwdriver and scrape all the dirt and corrosion and junk off the sides and connectors on the base of the bulb socket... the base itself should slide in and out and if it doesn't you may need to coax it a little bit... if it continues to refuse to slide then you may want to consider just hacking a set of tail light harness's off a donor jeep with good ones and run those instead
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM

i guess i dont understand how it can still be the rear turn signal, i wiggled the ground and it started working, and it still works, is it possible i still have a bad ground even though the bulb will work?.. the only bulb im having trouble with in the circuit is the driving light portion of the front turn signal bulb.. thanks again
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 did the exact same thing.There is a harness under the air box that gets nasty.Pull it apart and spray electrical cleaner in it ,then put di-electric grease in it and put back together and its fixed.Mines been good for about 1.5 years now.It took me a month to find that harness.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 AM

ok, so i found the harness that supplies the headlights and such, i cleaned it out and im getting 12v at the front of the harness 11.5 at the back, 10v at the passenger side running light and 1v at the drivers side running light, not sure where im loosing all my voltage, does anyone have a schematic for an 89 headlight/turnsignal circuit? thanks in advance..
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM

bump?