Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tune up questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0I
Default Tune up questions

I bought this Cherokee (1992 I6 Manual tranny) the kid didn't take good care of it. It has 113000 miles on it and I'm wondering what all I can do to tune it up. Already put in the neon injectors. Replaced pretty much all gaskets and seals. And put in a New radiator. What else would y'all suggest that's not over about 130 bucks. And would need to be replaced at this mile range
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Spark plugs and cables, fuel filter, ignition cap, grease all of the zerks under it. Get the battery checked.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM

You could check your fan clutch, ccv valves, check your thermostat, water pump (look to see if the weep hole is leaking), idler Pully, belt, harmonic balancer, u joints, fluids in the tranny, tcase, differentials, you could check your brake lines, clean the throttle body, all your hoses and lines. That's all I can think of I know there's more but that would be a great start
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Spark plugs and cables, fuel filter, ignition cap, grease all of the zerks under it. Get the battery checked.
Also the battery cables, check resistance.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

buyer beware of previously teenager owned jeeps!!!

at 16 i trashed my first without actualy crashing and took out practicaly every small thing needed to run,(18 now and drove my dads truck till got my new 1 i got in june)... was looking on craigslist, kijiji local adds ect and had a list of assorted makes and models i wanted to look at, my parents were heading to the city that day and told me they would take a look at a few for me when they were there.... then they came home wth the first 1 they looked at.... never letting my parents buy a car without me again...

they paid the listed price tht im too embarrassed to mention for a 91xj, the used dealership had done a mild engine rebuild (230000ish on the dash) and it had new u joints everywhere and i think the brakes were new 2, after the dealership he took it to canadian tire and got a new air filter and all fluids changed..

the story the dealership told was that it had had 1 owner that was an elderly married couple who used it as a winter car and would hook it up to the back of there motor home for road trips (it did have all the necissary trailer gear). saddly i saw through this right away upon seeing it, in british columbia canada where i live learner or new drivers have to put a magnet/sticker on the back of their cars to identify that you are a minor and make you a taget for cops... it had a tell tale patch of dirt and scratches in the right shape and size to match one of these magnets next to the gas cap (cause it wont stick to the fiberglass back hatch), then the interior was the first thing that told me even if they were elderly they didnt take car of it as it was filthy and i found nearly an entire bag of carmel corn between and underneath the seats!!! the seat belt was tan, it is black and i cant clean it, the wole car was disgusting and it took me a day using regular fabric stain remover and mr.clean magic erasers to scrub it (i realy couldnt beilive the dealership did the engine upon other things but didnt touch the interior as it can be a huge selling point)... also the dealership failed to mention how nice the new bumpstops were (tell tale sign of abuse if they are brand spanking new or badly worn) and it also needed new shocks... regardless it was in better shape than my first and in drivable shape... tip of the iceberg of findin signs it had been abused, wheeling ounce (actaly the day i took my avitar pic) we got some flex (we were close to the highway and didnt plan on being long so didnt bother to disconect sway bars) got some flex and realized one of the sway bar brackets was completly off!!! furthr inspection showed that one of the bracket bolts had partialy been cut through at one point and it had sheered!!! WTF

all i got to say is make sure that you hv at least 1 profficient second hand car person with you and do your best to make sure the seller isnt lying...taking it to a shop or taking a mechanic to it is probly best if your not sure and if its too good to be true it usualy is. better luck next time to all this has happend to
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM

But not all teenage owned jeeps! I treat mine like a pile of gold! And got it when I was 14 from some 18yr old for a killer price since he didn't take care of it. Now it's being fixed up for a great life, but it's not gonna be for sale for a long long time. But yes most teen jeeps are Beaten to crap.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Originally Posted by Search and destroy
But not all teenage owned jeeps! I treat mine like a pile of gold! And got it when I was 14 from some 18yr old for a killer price since he didn't take care of it. Now it's being fixed up for a great life, but it's not gonna be for sale for a long long time. But yes most teen jeeps are Beaten to crap.
x2, im 18 and treat my cherokee like it's a pet lol
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

For $130, I'd do plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, diff fluid change, tcase fluid and grease all your zerks
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0ltr 6cyl

I'm a 1992 Owner Too! I have been learning a lot about maintenance and upgrades on the forums. The first thing I did was replace all the fluids and started replacing gaskets and seals. You can check out my 92 Cherokee build at my link below. Have fun fixing her up!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
For $130, I'd do plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, diff fluid change, tcase fluid and grease all your zerks

And clean the throttle body and IAC.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

"Gently" wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled