Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tube going into tranny pan question ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default tube going into tranny pan question ?

i'm going to change my tranny fluid and filter in my 2000 xj 4.0 jeep , and i see that the dip stick tube goes in on the side off the pan ... is it a good idea to replace the rubber sealing gromit ? looks like mine is leaking ..where would i get one / dealer ?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would advise not to change the filter. Just do a fluid change. You don't know how much of a PIA it is to mess with the tranny dipstick.

I will never do my own filter on one again!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I just did the same thing (changing fluids and filter) anywayz ive heard alot of guys say on the older rigs you dont wanna change the fliter or sometimes theyll add some of their old fluid to the new stuff. But reason being is cuz older vehicles get used to running with the junk and deposits that its had for the life of the car and might get upset if you give it a full make over lol. I changed both and its running fine and is actually shifting smoother then it was. As for the dipstick tube i cut the zip tie higher up and pulled the whole thing down far enough to clean the pan and change the fliter (btw your filter will be metal) the guy gave me the wrong kit for like $7 and then i get it all apart and realize my 99' has a metal case for the filter and had the pay $20 for the newer model kit. Just be careful if you pull the pan from the dipstick cuz theres a spot where it pulls apart but youll need a new O ring for it and like Stryker said its a PIA lol goodluck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

my dipstick would not come off .....the filter is a SCREEN and just stop big particles. Remove the drain plug and then refill with new...you will get around 4 quarts. yours looks like a rear main seal.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

well if your going to change why not change the filter? and the kit is going to come with a new gasket anyway unless your going to RTV it which the guy before me did and it was a pain to get off just fyi
Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I just did it, it's not that hard. all you have to do is unbolt the filler tube support and pull the filler tube. then just service the trans as you normally would. after the filter is replaced and new gasket, reinstall the pan. then reinstall the fill tube. it's just as easy as it sounds.

and I agree with 98 jeepjeep the oil mess is from the rear main seal.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 AM

so luckily enough I thought to check on the internet before reefing too hard on the filler tube. I can see where it can come apart, I was sucessful in moving it a smidgen, but both pieces are still very much attached.
Plan to cut the zip strip as mentioned and pull down and out.

The question though - Do you think i've done any damage to the o-ring by pulling things this way and that? Seems like a proper seal is super important. Should i get the system tested when it's back together, or should it be ok as long the two tube pieces didn't actually separate??