Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Felpro oil pan gasket vs factory model

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Felpro oil pan gasket vs factory model

Felpro is good. Used them for years. However factory part oil pan gasket one piece is built with curves molded in for crankshaft ends and felpro is flat and must be bent by user on install. Factory number 53007568ac1 is available from Amazon as is the felpro os34308r. Has anyone used the factory style? If so results?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I used felpro for my oil pan gasket. I don't remener having to bend it at all. Went in well. No leaks.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Go Fel-Pro it really works well and stands up better than factory!
Old 09-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

No, the fel pro is molded. I put that one on my 91.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by rdr8887
I used felpro for my oil pan gasket. I don't remener having to bend it at all. Went in well. No leaks.
Yup...

Originally Posted by ARCH4NGEL_II
Go Fel-Pro it really works well and stands up better than factory!
...yup...

Originally Posted by XJPat
No, the fel pro is molded. I put that one on my 91.
...and yup.

I don't know if that one on Amazon is an old style or what but my blue Fel-Pro (same part #) was molded and one piece. Got it from the local auto parts store.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 PM

Both will do. Whether one is better is not something most people will be able to tell you. Both are more than adequate. Both are rubber not cork. The Felpro set comes with 4 plastic guiding studs which makes it easy to place the gasket.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. Felpro tech told me gasket had to be bent but I saw actual unit at O Reilly's and it comes in a flat box and picture shows it as flat but it actually molded in a curve. Bought the Felpro
Old 09-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by quneur
Both will do. Whether one is better is not something most people will be able to tell you. Both are more than adequate. Both are rubber not cork. The Felpro set comes with 4 plastic guiding studs which makes it easy to place the gasket.
Those guide pins are awesome, made the install wayyyy easier. Love fel-pro
Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Year: 1998 , 1999
Engine: Both 4.0 IL6

Sorry to revive a 2 week old thread, but I am getting ready to do this on my xj 4.0 and this looked like the most relevant place to post. Valve cover gasket is leaking, oil pan gasket is leaking, and the tranny pan gasket is leaking too. Question is, does the oil pan gasket seal up around the rear between the tranny bell and the rear of the engine?(rear main bearing area i think?) I had an f350 once and there was a separate rubber gasket that i had to get and stuff up in there. Never did get it to seal right. Will I run into this on the XJ? Or is the oil pan gasket all one piece and the only thing I will need to seal up under the engine.? Any advice on best technique for the valve cover gasket and tranny gasket would also be great. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Oil pan gasket is all one piece. Might I recommend doing the rear main seal (RMS) while you have the pan off. Common leak point, only costs a couple bucks, simple 2-piece design makes install simple.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokee_of_Tennessee
Any advice on best technique for the valve cover gasket and tranny gasket would also be great. Thanks!
Haven't done the tranny yet but valve cover gasket is pretty easy. Again, get the fel-pro rubber (not cork) gasket and follow the tightening procedure for the bolts. With the rubber gasket, you don't need to use rtv (oil pan you do).

The RMS you have to lubricate it well before inserting the top half. I used an eye dropper and squirted dish soap into the hole before applying it to the seal. It made insertion much easier. Important, keep the shape of the seal the same when inserting. Don't try to force it enough so that it bends the seal. It will rip the outer rubber off the metal of the seal.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:33 PM

So I got a tranny filter today. There are cork seals on the inlet and the outlet. Do these seals on the actual filter need RTV? How tight should I get the pan screws when I put it back on? I don't have a torque wrench. Finger tight plus a quarter turn? Or just tight enough to make the seal compress a little? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

If you're going to do the VCG - go with Felpro. Trust me. It's a much better seal. Even my naysaying friend who would have rather cheaped out was there when I did mine and was like ya....that's a nice gasket.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Cherokee_of_Tennessee
So I got a tranny filter today. There are cork seals on the inlet and the outlet. Do these seals on the actual filter need RTV?

No! No! No! No! No! No!

Do NOT put RTV on that gasket! It's just a snug push fit, that's all that's needed. RTV inside your transmission is asking for trouble.

As for the bolts, yeah, just snug 'em up. No need for a torque wrench. Just don't crank on them.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

Ok, so I swapped it out with a rubber felpro. I didn't put rtv on the cork parts of the filter.( thanks BlueRidgeMark) It was a real pain in the *** to get the friggin dipstick tube loose from the upper part of it. It was rusted together or maybe just a tight fit. I was wondering how in the hell I was going to keep the gasket in line on the pan while I bolted it on, then and idea occurred to me to hold it in line by putting the screws thru it. Just so happens the holes in the gasket are slightly smaller than the screws and it grips the screws. I put all the screws thru the holes in the pan with the gasket on it, and then just bolted it right up. Once I got it worked loose from the dipstick tube, the whole job took less than an hour. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Felpro oil pan gasket vs factory model