Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tube doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91/96
Model: Cherokee
Talking Tube doors

I bought some tube doors from jeeptubes and i am having problems trying to find door latches. Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Your old doors?

Sorry, had to say it. I've seen them used, though. Not sure if you wanna cut up your originals.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

I have a parts XJ so I could. was also thinking about using the window and door controls and mount them on the dash for the back windows.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

I've got no experience with power windows and locks. And mine is a 2 door, so window controls would be non-existent with tubes.

I was looking a day or two ago trying to figure out an easy way to pull off the doors on my 87. It didn't seem easy. :/
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

I took off the front doors of my first xj. it wasn't too bad if you dont care about cutting. 2 of the screws strippped so got the sawzaw out. but once i took the doors off the back windows wouldnt roll up.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

HA! I love being a 2 door!

The goal would be taking them off and still have the ability to put them back on. I live in Wisconsin, so winters are long and real effin cold. This will be my DD once it gets too cold to ride my motorcycle.

What did you do to keep your dome lights off? Do the tube doors hit the switch to cut the lights off? Did you pull a fuse?

I currently have no light bulbs in the interior lights, so I chose the "easy" route. I still don't know if I'm ok, though, cuz I haven't pulled the doors yet. I'm a little concerned that I missed something and will come to find a dead battery shortly after I go doorless.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by gee oh dee
ha! I love being a 2 door! :d

the goal would be taking them off and still have the ability to put them back on. I live in wisconsin, so winters are long and real effin cold. This will be my dd once it gets too cold to ride my motorcycle.

What did you do to keep your dome lights off? Do the tube doors hit the switch to cut the lights off? Did you pull a fuse?

I currently have no light bulbs in the interior lights, so i chose the "easy" route. I still don't know if i'm ok, though, cuz i haven't pulled the doors yet. I'm a little concerned that i missed something and will come to find a dead battery shortly after i go doorless.
what i do is put some super glue on the button on the doorjam and hold it it for about 30 seconds. They will stay in and no more lights on with the doors off. If you want your interior lights on just use the switch on the dash.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

you could always put the dome light back in and find the fuse that is used for them. or find something to push the pin in that trips the dome light so the jeep thinks the door is shut all the time. if you could make it so that the door hits that little pin i think thatd be best.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah my bulbs are just out. Whatever, i have a light around my head if i need it. its nice without the doors. thats why i went with tube doors plus it looks awesome. i just have to weld them up. jeeptube has a nice set, heavy duty.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
you could always put the dome light back in and find the fuse that is used for them. or find something to push the pin in that trips the dome light so the jeep thinks the door is shut all the time. if you could make it so that the door hits that little pin i think thatd be best.
Thats what I was looking to hear! That fuse!!! I know there is one for Wranglers, but I wasn't sure if the one on the Cherokees disabled more than just dome lights. My truck is rough enough to no longer have fuse box covers, therefore there isn't a diagram explaining which fuse to pull.

Couple that with me being too lazy to look it up in my Haynes guide, and we've got a real winner!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Thats what I was looking to hear! That fuse!!! I know there is one for Wranglers, but I wasn't sure if the one on the Cherokees disabled more than just dome lights. My truck is rough enough to no longer have fuse box covers, therefore there isn't a diagram explaining which fuse to pull.

Couple that with me being too lazy to look it up in my Haynes guide, and we've got a real winner!
iirc the fuse for the dome light is also the fuse for your gauge cluster lights so you might want to go with the push the pin in route. i might be wrong but itll never kill you to try. ill be trying here as im making tube doors next week. check out my build thread to see what i end up doin
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6

on the cherokee you can take that push button for the door jam out so no lights will come on, thats what i did for all of mine when i take the doors off
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

you guys have me thinkin about that damn lil push button now

im going to try and come up with somethin that will push that button when the door is closed when i make mine next week
Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

You could just unplug the wire that goes to the push pin.....its behind the kicker panel.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

I want to see the 2 door with tube doors.

Quick Reply: Tube doors