Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

trying to put dakota ax-15 in my jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default trying to put dakota ax-15 in my jeep

ok im kind new to jeeps and forums. i have the basic understanding to get the job done just dont have the experience and google only hlps if u know what ur looking for.but heres the issue i have a 93 jeep cherokee 4.0 h.o with a 5 speed(ax-15) allready in it, well it went outso after a month of looking at the j.y.'s around my area and c.l. i found one for a decent price but it was the ax-15 from the dakota.i searched on good old google to see if there was a difference i figured the crossmember had to be changed or modified to work that was fine the bell housing and internal throw out are off my jeep as i just replaced the clutch with a complete kit a month or two before the tranny went out.so i got the tranny from the dakota figureing it was a stright forward swap but ran in to a lil problem. the speedmeter on the dakota is a cable driven one and the one from my jeep is a electrical one, so i take them apart and look at them the one from my jeep is a short shaft and has 29 teeth and the one from the dakota is a long shaft with 54 teeth now my question/delema is can i use my sensor in the dakota trans with out my speedo being off seeing as every thing is still the same inside the transmission just a different speedmeter being used or will i have to go buy a different shaft or some thing to get mine to work wit it?

Last edited by roger_son420; 03-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

I think I would compare the hookups on the transmission, not the speedo cable ends/ sensors, as you mentioned, the speedos work differently, so it's likely the cable, and sensor will have different connections on them. if they look the same (in the tranny) you should be fine. if all else fails, hook it up, and if your speedo's off, you can get the replacement gears to correct it. hope this helps.