Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this transmission slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Is this transmission slip?

I’ve been in a car with a slipping transmission before.

I recently bought an XJ, and about halfway through my 1000 mile journey home on leave, it decides to start shuddering when giving it gas between 60-70mph…
it feels like a manual transmission slipping (my jeep is an auto)
the car basically jerks real hard, and you feel it kick. It makes NO weird noises, tranny fluid is good, filter is new, and it’s accelerates really well, no issues there.
Basically, only in like 3-4th gear, it will shudder and jerk whenever I’m on the throttle at all, and it’s gotten worse to the point where it does this at almost any speed in those higher gears. Again, no metal was found in the tranny pan.
It will accelerate really well to high speeds, but as soon as you let off, and it shifts into a higher gear, you can’t give it throttle anymore, or it will do this.
Also, when this happens, the tachometer will go kinda crazy, and bounce all over, and “rev” up real high (2-4500rpm) but the engine doesn’t really rev that high because the jerks are so short and sporadic.

has anyone had this issue? I’m thinking the torque converter is bad, or the clutches in the trans went bad (idk much about those), but the gears themselves seem to be fine. Otherwise, could this be a weird sensor issue?

•the car does have a check engine light (code p1319)(bad crank/cam sensor) I don’t think this is the cause of it, the engine runs just fine.

I’d really like to know if anyone else has had this exact problem before.

It’s worth noting that I replaced the plug wires, the throttle position sensor, and ignition coil thinking that this might solve it (I thought it might be a misfire at first)
Old 12-22-2021, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,084 Likes on 868 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by plopcicles
•the car does have a check engine light (code p1319)(bad crank/cam sensor) I don’t think this is the cause of it, the engine runs just fine.
Actually, your symptoms sound like a bad crank sensor, especially the tach wigging out. It's a pretty common failure, and they tend to either get weak and hard to start the engine or start cutting out when they get hot. I would inspect the wiring to the crank sensor for damage such as melted or chaffed and then replace it - ideally with genuine Mopar. Genuine OEM is harder to find, and more expensive but much better quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by lawsoncl:
cruiser54 (12-23-2021), plopcicles (12-22-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Actually, your symptoms sound like a bad crank sensor,

well, I did change the crank sensor since it was throwing a code. But it didn’t solve my problem
car still lurches while driving, and tach goes kinda crazy. Any transmission related issues you can think of that might cause this?
Old 01-05-2024, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by plopcicles
Actually, your symptoms sound like a bad crank sensor,

well, I did change the crank sensor since it was throwing a code. But it didn’t solve my problem
car still lurches while driving, and tach goes kinda crazy. Any transmission related issues you can think of that might cause this?
did you ever figure it out?