Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission question? Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission question? Troubleshooting

Ok here is the rundown on the Cherokee It is a 98 4.0L 165,000 miles Right Hand Drive model. Bought used at 125,000 have changed trans fluid and filter every 8-12k miles. Supposed to have had a trans rebuild around 100k mark on odometer from previous owner.

Now here is the issue.
I was driving home as it shifted through the gears I noticed it hesitated to shift into OD. I didn't think much of it. a few days later it started doing that and the hesitation got longer. I got nervous thought well it is been hot this summer and I am going on about 6k-7k since last trans fluid change so I changed fluid. NO change kept doing it for a day or so more and then I completely lost OD won't make the attempt to shift into OD.

Here is what I have done since.

Changed fluid again
replaced Throttle Position Sensor
Took off the Nuetral safety switch cleaned and put back on.

Now today After casing my mail at Post office and went to back the jeep up to the dock to load mail. the jeep would not turn over I had power to everything just wouldn't turn over. I worked the shifter through the gears and back to park jiggled it a little in park and then it started. So I am assuming Even though I cleaned the NSS it is apparently bad or going out. I just ordered one off the internet and should receive it Thursday. I am going to install it and hope it fixes the overdrive.

Does anyone have any opinions on what is causing the OD to not be working?
any help is greatly appreciated. I never use OD while on the route but it is a pain going to and from work at 45-50 mph having to drive 20 miles there and20 miles back when it is 100+ degrees here in NE Ok.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Lockup is affected by the brake pedal switch, but that is beyond OD which is an actual 4th gear. The kickdown cable is easy to adjust, and its on the outboard end of the throttle body butterfly shaft. Lockup itself is engaged when the S3 solenoid in the trans is activated.

What you are describing (I think) sounds very similar to what a couple of other folks have posted here recently, and the NSS WAS the culprit.

I was going to say that you change your ATF rather frequently, but if you're using the XJ as a mail delivery vehicle, I understand. IIRC, the recommended change interval for normal driving was around 30K miles.

I have the AW4 trans and diagnosis manuals on my PC. If you want them, PM me your email address and I'll send them as attachments.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM

The kickdown cable? Is that the cable that is practically next to the actual throttle cable? I have no idea what that is cable is called. But to adjust your supposed to have someone hold the throttle pedal to floor and another person press the button on the cable to have it correctly adjusted. I think its called something like TV Cable or Detent cable.

If thats what your explaining to me I have adjusted that also.
But if it is something different please enlighten me so I can check it out and try it.

Also I do believe I have an issue with the NSS due to today trying to start the jeep and had to work the shifter to get it to start. SO I am crossing my fingers and toes hoping that it is also causing my OD problem and this NSS fixes both issues.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

X2 If the NSS doesn't fix the OD problem I'd say (S3) solenoid.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Ok correct me if I am wrong but the solenoid your talking about is the one inside the trans. have to drop the trans pan and the three solenoids there around the filter correct? Also If I am going to replace the one I might as well replace all three. Where is a good place to order the three? thanks

Last edited by Hagar44; 07-26-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Yes, the solenoids (3) are under the trans and accessible by dropping the pan. Check their resistance through the 7 pin connector at the trans dipstick. If the solenoid is obviously out of spec, replace it. I bought OEM from the dealer and it was $$. Napa and Autozone had a similar price for the same solenoid. There are cheaper solenoids, but I was warned to avoid them(by the local trans guy).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

I always wanted a mail delivery jeep. They're maintenanced so well...
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

yeah this one had been abused a little before I got it. But it wasn't too bad. Just needed some little things taken care of. Of course now it isn't looking to be a little thing with the trans. acting up.

Ok how do you test the this 7 pin connector? Which pins and what should I be getting for readings? Is that in the manual you sent to me? Asking cause I checked this before emails and haven't seen it.

And please understand I am a basic mechanic. I can change out parts and work on my own vehicles to an extent. I am no good with electrical and have never tested electrical parts. So Maybe a electrical testing for dummies process would be good for me lol.

Also As for the NSS I received it today and can I say fast shipping very pleased paid monday night got here this morning.

As soon as the jeep cools down and the outside temp comes down I will
be putting on the NSS take it for a spin and hope that it fixes the OD and I don't have to worry about the solenoids.
thanks nathan
Old 07-27-2011, 05:10 PM

ok I went out took the NSS off and adjusting bolt was missing! went ahead and pulled the NSS off And the plastic housing is cracked not sure If I did it pulling it off or not.

I am about to run to get a new bolt for it.
But my next question what is the easiest way to re-install the NSS and it be adjusted correctly?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM

ok here is the latest on the transmission.

Just installed the NSS. pretty much just had someone stand at back of jeep with jeep turned off but key on with it in reverse I moved the NSS back and forth and found the middle ground of where the backup lights stay on and tightened down the Adjustment bolt. Took it for a spin and still no OD.

So can we assume it is the shifting solenoid?
If it is I would say spend the money change all three and have all new ones in there at same time.
Are there any out there that can be bought not from the dealership and be a decent price? looks like I can order from autozone or oreilly's but they sure do want a lot for them. also looks like they sell them as a single solenoid and not a kit with all three. o
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Did you buy a new NSS?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM

yes it is a new NSS that I put on today.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Dangit.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM

The solenoids can be tested through the female end of the 7 pin connector by the trans dipstick. The row of 4 pins has the 3 solenoids. Set your meter to read resistance and put one lead on the socket for the solenoid and the other on a verified good ground. Auto-range digital VOMs are the cats a$$ for this kind of testing.

The info is in both manuals, but the diagnosis manual is the more detailed. It will enable you to troubleshoot down to a wire.

I expected that replacing the NSS was going to solve your problem. S1 and S2 are shift solenoids and identical other than their position in the trans. S3 is the lockup solenoid. Depending upon which of the S1 and S2 are activated determines which gear you'll be in electronically.

Try this: remove the fuse for the trans controller from the power distribution box under the hood. Start the heep and try the gears. 1-2 should get you 1st only unless you exceed 4500 rpm. 3 should get you 3rd and D will get you 4th only. If it shifts manually, you have an electronic problem which could include a solenoid.

Just to clarify, are you not getting 4th (OD) or are you not getting lockup which would happen after 4th was engaged? My '96 shifts (with light throttle) 1-2 at 20mph, 2-3 at 30mph, 3-4 at 40mph and lockup drops the revs even more at 45mph.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM

yeah I was hoping that it would fix the OD. Luckily I found the NSS at a good price and didn't spend a lot to find out it wasn't the OD culprit. anyone have any other ideas about the shifting problem?

I am probably going to order some shifting solenoids in a few days get a trans filter and some dex/merc III and change them out and hopefully that is the fix. If not I am probably going to give up on the OD and run it til it quits.

Quick Reply: Transmission question? Troubleshooting