Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission cooling line fitting? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inlie 6 4.0
Default Transmission cooling line fitting? Help?

Hey guys, so my upper (pressure) transmission cooling line fitting was all rusty and I think something hit it and bent it. Thus, the little plastic (snap) that goes into the little fitting cracked making trans fluid spray everywhere. Now I'm talking about on the transmission it's self, not the transmission cooling radiatior. So I went out and spend $10 bucks on this little fitting and after about 4 hours I installed it jus to find out that it leaked because the old line was all rusty and bent where it goes into the fitting. So I tried bending it back, and well of course it snapped about a half of a inch inside the fitting. What I'm wondering was if there is a way you can just weld a barbed fitting onto the end of the fitting that goes on the trans and then just put rubber hose on the end of the barbed fitting an then about 3 inches onto the old line with some hose clamps? Or do they sell a fitting that comes pre-made so I don't have to weld it? I'm talking about this fitting : http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-714
I have managed to get it to a drip compared to how it used to spray by bending the line a bit inside the fitting.
Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

where did it snap? do you have a pic of the area the break is in?

if it's along the front near the rad, i've cut mine out and just used rubber hose and clamps without any problems for a few years now.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM

No, it snapped off by the opposit end that goes into the transmission. And the end of the line cracked off inside the fitting. That's why I wa wondering if they made a barbed fitting so I could just completely get rid of that quick disconnect dorman fitting and just put a rubber hose on it and then on the end of the line.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 AM

Here is actually a pic of the one that leaked, and the new one that I bought.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooling line fitting? Help?-image.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Bump? Has this ever happend to anyone?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Gonna have to build a new line bud. Take it off and match up the size at a good auto parts store.

Moved to oem..
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'd say spend a little dough and convert it to AN fittings with trans fluid rated line. May cost you $100 or so initially for both but will be leak free for years and the fittings are reusable should the hose go bad.

That what I'll be doing soon to fix all the leaks with mine.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 AM

Default ---UPDATE---FIXED---!

Originally Posted by 12mpetru
Hey guys, so my upper (pressure) transmission cooling line fitting was all rusty and I think something hit it and bent it. Thus, the little plastic (snap) that goes into the little fitting cracked making trans fluid spray everywhere. Now I'm talking about on the transmission it's self, not the transmission cooling radiatior. So I went out and spend $10 bucks on this little fitting and after about 4 hours I installed it jus to find out that it leaked because the old line was all rusty and bent where it goes into the fitting. So I tried bending it back, and well of course it snapped about a half of a inch inside the fitting. What I'm wondering was if there is a way you can just weld a barbed fitting onto the end of the fitting that goes on the trans and then just put rubber hose on the end of the barbed fitting an then about 3 inches onto the old line with some hose clamps? Or do they sell a fitting that comes pre-made so I don't have to weld it? I'm talking about this fitting : http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-714
I have managed to get it to a drip compared to how it used to spray by bending the line a bit inside the fitting.
Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!

____________________UPDATE___________FIXED!_______ _________

- So what I did t o fix it was took the old fitting and welded a peice of steel pipe that threaded into it. Then I threaded a 90 Degree elbow on it with a barbed fitting sticking off that. I then put one hoseclamp on the barbed fitting side, And then two on the side that it just slid over the hose. I had to cut the line like 4' back.

Here are some pics. Did a little bit of trail driving.

Web sight still messed up.

http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/12...n%20line%20fix