Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer case grinding like it's partially in 4H while in 2H

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Transfer case grinding like it's partially in 4H while in 2H

Hey guys, a problem that's wracking my brain to try to fix and I know the very first response will be "use the search function to find how to adjust the linkage." I'll get to that.

Girlfriend has a "stock" 2001 Sport 4.0/AW4, nothing special just 3" lift, tires, and SYE, 171k miles. Recently the t case has been making the typical rotational grinding noise. It seems like, while the lever is in 2H, it's still partially engaged in 4H and makes the grinding noise. However, when I put the lever fully into 4H, the t case still makes the grinding noise regardless of accel, decel, or cruising. Placed into 4L, there's not a sound to be heard and everything is peachy. I also pulled the front drive shaft and it continued to make the same sound, so I know it's not a front end issue. Now in regards to the shift linkage, I tried to adjust it this weekend but it's pretty seized up in the block that it sits in. Any suggestions to try to unseize it with the minimal amount of space available other than the typical hammer tapping/PB blaster? I didn't put heat to it just because of how it's situated. Should I just forgo attempting to adjust it altogether and buy a replacement aftermarket linkage? Or, does this sound more like an internal issue and a rebuild is necessary? Trying to get a better idea before just blindly throwing money at it.

As I mentioned above, I did open up the case when I installed the SYE but that was over a year ago and there was no issue during that time and the Jeep ran flawlessly. The grinding has recently started within the past couple weeks to a month and seems to get worse as time goes on which leads me to thinking it's an internal issue and a rebuild is necessary.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Who installed the SYE? Sounds like a bad install or something not installed correctly.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Disconnect the linkage and move the t/case shift lever all the way forward by hand, then drive it. If it's not grinding, you're good and all you need is to fix/replace the linkage. Otherwise, you know the drill.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I agree