Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans Solenoid Location and testing Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trans Solenoid Location and testing Help

Hello again everyone. I am calling on the assistance of the Cherokee guroo's again. I am having transmission trouble. The check engine light is on and showing a bad trans shift solenoid A. Where is this at and how can I test it?

The problem I am having is that the transmission will not shift on it's own and when I shift manually it won't kick into Overdrive. It seems like it is starting in 4th gear.

Thank you all again for your help and advice
Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

remove your tranny pan and filter. and you will see them bolted to the valve block. just replace them i tried to test mine. but it only acted up when tranny was at running temp. i got all three for 15.00 from junk yard.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by greengoblin
remove your tranny pan and filter. and you will see them bolted to the valve block. just replace them i tried to test mine. but it only acted up when tranny was at running temp. i got all three for 15.00 from junk yard.
Not sure if I like that idea about getting something like this from a jy but, it's an idea for just $15. How long have you had them in?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Year: 1988

There's nothing wrong with getting something from a 'junk-yard'. They're just used parts like all the other used parts on every vehicle running up and down the road. Every vehicle runs on used parts. Just be careful about what you get. If you decide to go to a salvage yard to get the solenoids (if they're willing to pull them out of a tranny and part with them separately) and you're leary about the parts, have them test em in front of you so you can make sure they're okay and you should be fine. It'll save you a lot of money compared with the costs of buying 'new' solenoids... and your transmission won't know any different.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by FourWinds
There's nothing wrong with getting something from a 'junk-yard'. They're just used parts like all the other used parts on every vehicle running up and down the road. Every vehicle runs on used parts. Just be careful about what you get. If you decide to go to a salvage yard to get the solenoids (if they're willing to pull them out of a tranny and part with them separately) and you're leary about the parts, have them test em in front of you so you can make sure they're okay and you should be fine. It'll save you a lot of money compared with the costs of buying 'new' solenoids... and your transmission won't know any different.
You are right about that and I do love saving money, will make the wife happy too, since I still need an AC fan and transfer sensor, to get the light on the dash working while in 4wd. How do you test them out of the vehicle?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

There are somethings I don't trust from the JY, but sometimes it does make sense. I have heard of people going to the JY for Hoses and brake shoes, thats just stupid.
BUT, new solenoids cost about $200 each. So at $15 buck a set, even each. If you have to go back to the yard because you got bad ones you don't loose much more than the time involved.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 93gc40
There are somethings I don't trust from the JY, but sometimes it does make sense. I have heard of people going to the JY for Hoses and brake shoes, thats just stupid.
BUT, new solenoids cost about $200 each. So at $15 buck a set, even each. If you have to go back to the yard because you got bad ones you don't loose much more than the time involved.
Very true but, just not used to using a jy for things but, haven't had an older vehicle in a while. Did it as a kid though. Now is a good time to see what's here to salvage and for the price, I can look for other things as well.
Thank you all for the idea.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Better still, test them yourself. Take an ohmmeter, check resistance between the spade terminal and the mounting tab. Should be 11-15 ohms.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 5-90
Better still, test them yourself. Take an ohmmeter, check resistance between the spade terminal and the mounting tab. Should be 11-15 ohms.
That works for me. I can do that. Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I will be checking with the local jy's. I don't think they are open on Sundays around here.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO I6

The lock-up solenoid is out in mine. Was just coming and going and couldnt figure it out. I found out with these trannys is that the heat is what kills the solenoids and sometimes a solenoid will work fine until it gets hot and stop but work fine again after it cools down until it eventually dies. The guy I learned this from, certified trans builder at a Chrysler dealership, worked on these when they were new all the way back till the late 80s. He said to test them with a heat gun and a battery. Use the heat gun to get the solenoid hot and see if you can still hear it energize, or click.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1armyguy
Not sure if I like that idea about getting something like this from a jy but, it's an idea for just $15. How long have you had them in?

Thanks for the help.

i have had them in for six months and no problems. but you have to know what the ones look like in your tranny. so you get the right ones cause diffrent years they had diffrent styles and plugs
Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90

i tried that with mine and check out fine. it would fail when the tranny got to opperating temp then fail. so i had no choice to change them. and couldnt find a wire diagram for 97 and newer to test them from a harness