Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Trans Problems?

I purchased a 1997 Cherokee a few weeks ago. It is a 4 door, 4 cyl, 2wd, 5 speed. The problem i am trying to take care of before i do a lot of mods to it, deals with the transmission.

When i first got it coming out of first gear was kinda weird. It would engage into it no problem, but then after i am in it if i try getting on the gas hard there is a vibration slash rubbing and bouncing sound. Kind of sounds like the sync in the gears were messed up but pretty sure its not. I changed the trans mount on it thinking that's just what it was. The old mount was sort or dry rotted and the rubber on it was defiantly torn into two pieces. The new one was extremely hard to get in. I stopped a few times and questioned if it was the right mount... All the bolts lined up to the old one so i just kept trying til i got it in. After getting it in i went out for a test drive and it got worse. Now every gear has a crazy vibration to it. As i get higher in gears and rpms the vibration slowly goes away. The vibrations are real real strong and are so loud through out the truck that i cant even tell if that original noise went away cause the only thing i can hear are the vibrations. I'm going to try divining it for a few more hundred miles to see if it breaks in, but i am just kinda scared im ruining parts by driving it in the condition it is in right now.

I tried going to a few different places to compare the trans mounts. They all gave me the same one. Only place i havent been to is the dealership.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea on what i should do.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Have you checked to make sure it has proper fluid levels and the fluid isn't filled with shavings or water or mud filled?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Yes, Trans fluid was filled to the proper amount and when i stuck my finger in there the fluid still looked good and was told not to drain it and refill it because it would mess things up.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Ya that is the worst thing to do ESPECIALLY on a tranny if it acting up. Have you tried lucas transmission anti slip?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM

Yeah, i just dont know what to do... i think the old mount is going to have to go back in.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Sorry, no i didnt try that. But i am pretty sure it has to deal with the mount being changed. I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem and how they fixed it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM

So, just to keep you guys updated. The vibration is starting to wear down a little. Still pretty bad, but not as bad as before. I am starting to think the trans mount i put in just needs to break itself in. I am just surprised i am the only person who had ever had this problem. I cant find anyone else anywhere that has had this before.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM

I ended up taking a look at the motor mounts and both of those were bad too, so i went back to Autozone and swapped those out as well. The vibration isnt as bad now but clearly still there. I have my heart set on it breaking itself in soon otherwise i am going to be stuck with a jeep im not happy to drive. Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to me.