Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

track bar, or track bar bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default track bar, or track bar bushings?

So, I've finally figured out that the popping coming from my 97 jeep cherokee is from the track bar. I was going to get a new track bar, but found the bushings can just be replaced. What I have also heard though, is that if the frame end (tie rod end) is worn, then I must replace the whole track bar. I already had oreilys order the bushings, but not sure if I need to cancel that and just get the whole bar! Any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Bushings will do nicely. The bar is just steel.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Yeah that's what I imagine. Someone just said if the tierod end was bad, then I would need a whole new bar. Have heard so many things, I figuret it would be best to ask on here to get the average opinion/facts. I can just replace the bushing around the tie rod end, and not the tie rod itselft correct? Or would that be part of the kit? Or what?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Here is a little write-up on track bar bushing replacement.

GL.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeah, cool. Thanks for this thread & the writeup link. My XJ is starting to develop the death wobble. I took it to a suspension place and, among other things, they say I need to replace the track bar (to the tune of $218, not including labor). I believe the bushings will cost around $10 and an afternoon of my time.

FYI, they also said I need to change my steering dampener ($58 + labor) and I'm hoping to pick up a new one from Craigslist for $20. The last thing they said I have to get is a new steering gear box (for $356 + labor) to replace my leaking one. Craigslist to the rescue again with a local place that sells rebuilts modded ready for hydro assist for $120. Checking to see how much they charge to R&R the thing. I should be able to save a ton of money from the $1004 the original shop was asking for!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Danian619
Yeah, cool. Thanks for this thread & the writeup link. My XJ is starting to develop the death wobble. I took it to a suspension place and, among other things, they say I need to replace the track bar (to the tune of $218, not including labor). I believe the bushings will cost around $10 and an afternoon of my time.

FYI, they also said I need to change my steering dampener ($58 + labor) and I'm hoping to pick up a new one from Craigslist for $20. The last thing they said I have to get is a new steering gear box (for $356 + labor) to replace my leaking one. Craigslist to the rescue again with a local place that sells rebuilts modded ready for hydro assist for $120. Checking to see how much they charge to R&R the thing. I should be able to save a ton of money from the $1004 the original shop was asking for!
Google FSM for your year Cherokee, download manual, do some reading, search cherokeeforum.com, more reading, get yourself a tool set and with a weekend working on your jeep..........you will come up ahead ($$$) and learn a few things=happy jeeper!
But beware yo.....it's ADDITIVE .

GL
The following users liked this post:
coach214 (01-31-2021)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Engine: 4.0l H.O.

if you have a second person, have them slightly turn the wheel side to side while engine running, look at the ball joint side of the track bar, chances are you will see the track bar popping from that, which means new track bar, if that is the case make sure it didn't wear out the bracket it bolts to. that hole gets beat up making it larger, so if you put a new bar in it will have the same problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by xjhawk
if you have a second person, have them slightly turn the wheel side to side while engine running, look at the ball joint side of the track bar, chances are you will see the track bar popping from that, which means new track bar, if that is the case make sure it didn't wear out the bracket it bolts to. that hole gets beat up making it larger, so if you put a new bar in it will have the same problem.
Sorry, I got confused there. (Not hard to do.) When you say the "ball joint side", are you talking about the axle mount? Or the frame mount side? And if I just replace the bushings, wouldn't that just fix things (unless the brackets are the problem)?

The wobble just started, so I'm hoping it's just bushings.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Yes, if your stock trackbar at the frame end is bad you will need to replace it. Since its stock and got a bunch of miles on it, why not upgrade to an adjustable trackbar? With an adjustable, the TRE/Heim/joint is replaceable.
Also, you can buy a NEW stabilizer from your local parts store or online for under 40$.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Yes, if your stock trackbar at the frame end is bad you will need to replace it. Since its stock and got a bunch of miles on it, why not upgrade to an adjustable trackbar? With an adjustable, the TRE/Heim/joint is replaceable.
Also, you can buy a NEW stabilizer from your local parts store or online for under 40$.
Trying to stay bargain basement on this. I got laid off a month ago and the unemployment office is being a little ***** by denying my claim for benefits...all because they sent all the paperwork to the wrong address and now somehow it's my fault.

I'll try to see if the trackbar is damaged in any way, but I really can't see how it can be!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Engine: 4.0l H.O.

You can't replace the frame side joint separately, but that's usually the only failure point of the track bar, the axle side bushing rarely fails. A new track bar isn't too expensive, it only gets expensive when you need the frame side mount. You aid the popping just started, but that doesn't mean the play in the joint wasn't there for some time. in essence, the frame side joint is just like a tie rod end, they can be bad without you knowing. between ebay and other website sources, you should get a cheap deal. Goodluck!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danian619
Trying to stay bargain basement on this. I got laid off a month ago and the unemployment office is being a little ***** by denying my claim for benefits...all because they sent all the paperwork to the wrong address and now somehow it's my fault.

I'll try to see if the trackbar is damaged in any way, but I really can't see how it can be!
Wonder if a trip to your local Pull A Part would render a usable track bar... that would be dirt cheap.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

When you do this make sure to tighten the track bar mount on the frame side. It's 3 or 4 bolts I forget but when I hear a pop it is usually the mount and not the track bar its self. I would not however use a used stock track bar as it may only last a week and brake. I would buy a aftermarket one used as with those you can replace eater end.