Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track bar replacement, bolt for the bushing/axle end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Track bar replacement, bolt for the bushing/axle end?

So i'm replacing the track bar on my 98 XJ and i've been trying for the last day to get the bolt out of the bushing on the axle end.

I got the nut off after much trouble but no matter what i do i can't get the bolt out.
I was thinking about just cutting it out but didn't know if i can buy the bolt i'll need at the local hardware store or if it's a special kind? It looks a little different as it's thread don't go all the way to the end, and i'm sure it's built very strongly...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

spray it with some PB. take a smaller open end wrench and put the open end on the bolt head and hit the bottom with a hammer, will kind of drive it out. if that doesn't work it's probably stuck in there
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by MasterShakeXJ
spray it with some PB. take a smaller open end wrench and put the open end on the bolt head and hit the bottom with a hammer, will kind of drive it out. if that doesn't work it's probably stuck in there

believe me. I've soaked this thing in PB, heated the hell out of it. Pounded on it many times with a few different things i was able to fit back in the box the bolt is hidden in...
Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

If you got the flag nut out (from inside that little boxed area) ... then the bolt is spinning, correct?

If so ... then it sounds like there is too much tension on the bolt to allow it to back out. Have someone push against the body (sideways) to take off some tension.

Otherwise ... I'm not sure how you could get the flag nut out. Now ... if it was just a regular nut (meaning the factory nut was replaced) .... then you have another animal to deal with. What kind of heat are you using. You need Oxy/Acet to really get the bolt hot (like cherry) and you'll be replacing the bushing in short order. You'll need a 10.9 Metric bolt as your replacement.

Joe
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM

I already started cutting the bolt out. I have it about 1/2 way hopefully.

I think what was happening is the inner part of the bushing was lose and also spinning with the bolt, and the bolt was somehow stuck to that bushing.

No matter what it wasn't coming out. And i have a new track bar ready to go in anyway so heating the old one didn't worry me.

I can still use the same flag nut so i'll make sure i get a 10.9 metric bolt(which i see it says that on the bolt head). can those be gotten locally or are they special?

i just hope it cuts lose soon as i'm tired of holding the sawzall up...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Ah ... totally forgot about the sleeve breaking away from the bushing. Sorry about that.

That's usually common with leaf spring and/or control arm bushings. Haven't had a track bar sleeve spin on me yet. Now that I said it ... it's sure to happen to me.

10.9 isn't "special" per se ... but you're not going to find it at a big box store (depot/lowes/etc). A smaller (but good) hardware store should have them. There are always nut/bolt supply houses too. Match it up by total length ... not by the threaded length. And you should be fine.

10.9 is hardened stuff (It's the metric equivalent of a grade 8 bolt). So it's going to be a lot cutting process. Eat more spinach next time and your arms won't be tired.

Joe
Old 09-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
Ah ... totally forgot about the sleeve breaking away from the bushing. Sorry about that.

That's usually common with leaf spring and/or control arm bushings. Haven't had a track bar sleeve spin on me yet. Now that I said it ... it's sure to happen to me.

10.9 isn't "special" per se ... but you're not going to find it at a big box store (depot/lowes/etc). A smaller (but good) hardware store should have them. There are always nut/bolt supply houses too. Match it up by total length ... not by the threaded length. And you should be fine.

10.9 is hardened stuff (It's the metric equivalent of a grade 8 bolt). So it's going to be a lot cutting process. Eat more spinach next time and your arms won't be tired.

Joe

got the damn thing out of there! Once i cut the head off the rest of the bolt STILL wouldn't come out so i had to cut the other side off. Although it was 90% easier on that side.

I've dealt with grade 8 stuff on my corvette before so when you say 10.9 is the equivalent i know it's going to be a little hard to find. Only thing was i was looking for 11" grade 8 bolts for my corvette when i wanted to lower it....those were special order lol.

Here's the aftermath.
Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  147.3 KB

O and the obligatory lowered corvette picture
Name:  IMG_2839.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  132.8 KB
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE

Here's the aftermath.

Dang ... you turned your track bar into a Corvette ?

Now that's talent !!!

Glad you got it out of the Jeep. Good luck!

Joe
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM

lol. Good thing i was wearing safety goggles

Name:  IMG_0033.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  72.4 KB
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 PM