Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TPS (throttle position sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default TPS (throttle position sensor)

I was reading online trying to diagnose my heeps illness and it seems to have all the symptoms cause by a bad tps or tps connector but I cannot figure out how to get a good reading or if I am even trying to read the correct piece since everything I've come across has been different from what I have on my 1998 XJ 4.0 automatic. Can someone explain where to get the volt readings from and some pictures would help. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Good source for an inexpensive legal, licensed factory service manual.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/F..._cherokee.html
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Post Renic TPS have 3 leads. Ground, input 5v and output. With the ignition on but engine not running, use a probe into the back of the connector to see which is which. Verify that you have a GOOD GROUND. Verify 5v input, and then check the output. Both of mine tested .76v with the throttle closed and 3.75-3.8V with the throttle wide open. The change needs to be a linear sweep and is best tested with an analog meter vs digital.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 2.5

Originally Posted by excess650
Post Renic TPS have 3 leads. Ground, input 5v and output. With the ignition on but engine not running, use a probe into the back of the connector to see which is which. Verify that you have a GOOD GROUND. Verify 5v input, and then check the output. Both of mine tested .76v with the throttle closed and 3.75-3.8V with the throttle wide open. The change needs to be a linear sweep and is best tested with an analog meter vs digital.
I know I'm digging up an old post, but isn't it supposed to test alot higher with the throttle all the way open? the reason I ask is because my jeep has had a lack of power and has been stuttering. I thought it would be a TPS problem with the voltage being that low.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by moparchero
I know I'm digging up an old post, but isn't it supposed to test alot higher with the throttle all the way open? the reason I ask is because my jeep has had a lack of power and has been stuttering. I thought it would be a TPS problem with the voltage being that low.

The FSM spec at WOT is "less than 4.49 volts". There is no bottom limit like at idle.

Here's a test procedure if you'd like to go by it. Use a small safety pin as a back probe.

Name:  TPS%20TEST%20REV%201.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  1.25 MB
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM

have you had it scanned? my 97 had the same symptoms. i replaced the tps and no change. ended up being an oxy sensor. try unpluging one of the oxy sensors and see if there is a change. if not, unplug the other. if it stops, then replace the one that you need to. thats how i figured it out. or have a scanner put on it. but, there are a lot of things that can cause that. you can waste a lot of money and time chasing sensors under that hood.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jld66
have you had it scanned? my 97 had the same symptoms. i replaced the tps and no change. ended up being an oxy sensor. try unpluging one of the oxy sensors and see if there is a change. if not, unplug the other. if it stops, then replace the one that you need to. thats how i figured it out. or have a scanner put on it. but, there are a lot of things that can cause that. you can waste a lot of money and time chasing sensors under that hood.
Good idea, will have to check that out. The stuttering doesnt happen often, its only once a day or so when im cruising between 30-45. itll just jerk real quick like i stepped on the brakes really fast and let off. I think it would be some type of fuel or spark problem since the jeep does not seem to have as much power as it should. I'll have to check the 02 sensors.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:47 PM

Ken thanks for that diagram as well. Mapped everything out perfectly for me. Good electrical diagrams can be tough to track down for certain year vehicles, even when you have the manual for a vehicle.