Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tps or Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Tps or Computer?

Hi everyone I recently got another transmission put into my jeep and the mechanic that put it in said that my tps was no good so after buying another and replacing it 4 times I'm kinda fustrated. I have gotten all tps from autozone. The jeep seems to only work really good in drive for like 10 minutes then when I come to a stop it wants me to rev it really high just to move it. Also it won't go into over drive either. Any ideas if its still the tps or possibly my computer? I've checked the wire to tps and it looks good. I have not got deep down in the wire but I'm thinking about just taking it back to mechanic.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

has a code reader verified its the TPS? could be the IAC valve. or the o2's. any other symptoms? has it had a good tune up? things like 13yo components/hardware/wiring tends to get pretty worn out.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by rlssteiner
Hi everyone I recently got another transmission put into my jeep and the mechanic that put it in said that my tps was no good so after buying another and replacing it 4 times I'm kinda fustrated. I have gotten all tps from autozone. The jeep seems to only work really good in drive for like 10 minutes then when I come to a stop it wants me to rev it really high just to move it. Also it won't go into over drive either. Any ideas if its still the tps or possibly my computer? I've checked the wire to tps and it looks good. I have not got deep down in the wire but I'm thinking about just taking it back to mechanic.
If you still have the issue, that's not the problem, what about the TV cable adjustment?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Well I recently changed the spark plugs,oil and well tranmission fluid. But other then that that's it. It has full msd ignition box,wires,blaster so I don't assume its that. Thays the only symptom it works when it wants to like I have not drove it at all today if I got in and drove it it would drive like it should. I can manuel shift it fine so it can't be the tranny right? I have warranty on the transmission still but I don't think it covers electrical. I had codes read but it did not say tps. My friend has the codes written down so ill het them from him and let you know exact what they are
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

If you still have the issue, that's not the problem, what about the TV cable adjustment?
Yeah I've tried adjusting that thing plenty of times
Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Ok, so you just replaced your tranny...correct? You have to really push the pedal to get it to move after it gets warm....With all due respect...who replaced the tranny? The mechanic that you take it to for general maintanence? Get it out of a junk yard? If it works fine for 10 minutes, thats because the trans fluid is still cold. IMHO...if its not doing what its supposed to when the TRANNY gets warm, its in the transmission. I think your looking in the wrong direction....I am a mechanic for 12 yrs....I wont touch tranny's. Go to the people that do ONLY that...and quite honestly, bring it to another shop....
Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mycherokee96
Ok, so you just replaced your tranny...correct? You have to really push the pedal to get it to move after it gets warm....With all due respect...who replaced the tranny? The mechanic that you take it to for general maintanence? Get it out of a junk yard? If it works fine for 10 minutes, thats because the trans fluid is still cold. IMHO...if its not doing what its supposed to when the TRANNY gets warm, its in the transmission. I think your looking in the wrong direction....I am a mechanic for 12 yrs....I wont touch tranny's. Go to the people that do ONLY that...and quite honestly, bring it to another shop....
Yeah it was out of a junk yard. The reason I don't think its the tranny is because I can put it in the 1-2 and it has the torque and it does pressure shift at 4500rpm. But when I was getting the tranny replaced the mechanic put in 2 trannys and it had the same problem so he said it was the tps. I don't get regular matinence done there, just got tranny done there
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Another thing...when you had the tranny replaced, did they replace the torque converter?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

It sounds like its not downshifting to 1st when hot. It would be a good idea to test the solenoids for resistance cold and hot and compare. When my S1 was going out it wouldn't downshift, but was intermittent. As time went on it would never downshift to 1st when in 3 or D, and then would never go into 1st without manually selecting 1-2, and OD and/or lockup didn't work. Replacing the S1 solved my problems.

TPS, VSS, NSS, TCU, and brake pedal switch are all in play. The brake pedal switch will inhibit lockup when depressed. The TPS and VSS send signals to the TCU so it knows when to send voltage to the solenoids. The NSS has various sets of contacts that tell the TCU what gear postition was chosen. A flaky NSS has been know to cause problems with backup lights, starting in wrong gears or not starting in P or N, and inhibiting OD and/or lockup.

Did your original NSS get reused on the replacement trans?

Last edited by excess650; 09-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM

x2 Thats what I was getting at......
Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by rlssteiner
Yeah it was out of a junk yard. The reason I don't think its the tranny is because I can put it in the 1-2 and it has the torque and it does pressure shift at 4500rpm. But when I was getting the tranny replaced the mechanic put in 2 trannys and it had the same problem so he said it was the tps. I don't get regular matinence done there, just got tranny done there
You sure it wasn't TCM? and if so why was it never replaced?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Another thing...when you had the tranny replaced, did they replace the torque converter?
Yes they replaced the torque converter my old transmission never went into over drive
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by excess650
It sounds like its not downshifting to 1st when hot. It would be a good idea to test the solenoids for resistance cold and hot and compare. When my S1 was going out it wouldn't downshift, but was intermittent. As time went on it would never downshift to 1st when in 3 or D, and then would never go into 1st without manually selecting 1-2, and OD and/or lockup didn't work. Replacing the S1 solved my problems.

TPS, VSS, NSS, TCU, and brake pedal switch are all in play. The brake pedal switch will inhibit lockup when depressed. The TPS and VSS send signals to the TCU so it knows when to send voltage to the solenoids. The NSS has various sets of contacts that tell the TCU what gear postition was chosen. A flaky NSS has been know to cause problems with backup lights, starting in wrong gears or not starting in P or N, and inhibiting OD and/or lockup.

Did your original NSS get reused on the replacement trans?
Yes my NSS was reused and how would you test the soleniodes on a 97 up cherokee?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

You sure it wasn't TCM? and if so why was it never replaced?
I bought two other TCM from junkyard and still same problem exsist
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Year: Bone stock 91

I agree 100%... sounds like the tranny is slipping and the so-called mechanic doesn't want to admit it.

Quick Reply: Tps or Computer?